SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I don't even know if this is car related or not. This happened not but 20 minutes ago. I'm in NoVA which is getting hammered with tons of rain and t-storms right now. I'm clipping along about 60mph listening to my iPod over my FM transmitter [got a USASPEC waiting to go in when the weather is good and I have free time]. All of a sudden huge lightning strike and thunder clap and my car starts making this high pitched electronic noise, kind of like when old analog tvs lost signal and went to the colored bar screen. It started quiet but got progressively louder, so much so that it started drowning out the music. At that point my sister and I kind of looked at each other and started freaking out. I unplugged my ipod and transmitter and turned off the radio, but the noise stayed on. I have no idea where it came from but it definitely was coming from somewhere inside the car. It almost seemed to come from behind the dash, but I'm not certain. It was one of those all-encompassing noises where you can't locate its source. Once I got in my exit ramp with my turn signal on it died away very quickly. It wasn't speed related best I can tell because it didn't change when I slowed down for the ramp. I have no idea what the heck it was, and I'm kind of weirded out.

Anyone else ever have this happen?? Is this one of my onboard computers dying because it somehow got wet?? There was no perceived moisture or dampness in the carpets beyond my shoes getting them wet. I have 0 messages on the info panel and nothing weird was going on with the car other than that noise.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Sounds like rain-squeal, the resonator is rubbing on the propeller shaft. It's like running a wet finger around a crystal glass, just much louder. Delete your resonator to eliminate the problem.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was planning on doing that when I got my DP in May. Is this anything I should be concerned about? I've driven the car in heavy rain before without this effect.

Thanks for the plausible answer though, Bob. My first thought was aliens ;)

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Not a big deal, just very annoying. I called my mechanic after it happened to me the first time and he installed a bracket that eliminated the problem, though it probably costs more for the bracket than to simply cut out the resonator:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
If it was rain squeal, which it sounds like it was, you will notice witness marks on the driveshaft... Go look!

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
And I'll chime in with my usual response that the exhaust can also be adjusted/shimmied for far cheaper and keep the car more stock than sawing apart the exhaust or paying for an outrageously expensive bracket that doesn't always work.... :p

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Ive had my R for just over half a year now and I have driven in the rain lots and lots and I have heard this noise once. It is a fairly alarming noise when you dont know what it is. I had been on the forums for a while before I ever heard it and read about it so after the initial shock wore off I kind of assumed that is what I heard. Now I know that is what I heard.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I have the bracket the BlazinBob illustrated; it was already installed on my caR when I purchased it. I have yet to experience the dreaded rain squeal, or snow squeal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts