SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! New to the forums here but been a longtime lurker and was hoping to get some help.

So like the the title of the thread says, I've got a weird electrical something going on with my car. It's an 04 V70R. I've had it for about a year, and it's a pretty nice low mileage example. It sits at 90k right now.

The other day after coming back from my lunch back at work, I was sitting in the parking lot idling. The car decided to rapidly turn the headlights on and then off every minute or so. At the time I thought "okay, it's in the shade sitting under a tree...maybe the sensor is just confused". Shut the car and went to finish my shift.

Came back to the car and tried to unlock it with the fob, and got nothing. Unlocked it with the key in the door and no interior lights. No beeps when I put the key in the ignition. No dash lights or info when I turned the ignition on. But the weird thing is the car turned over normally. It just wouldn't start. It also started to turn over slower and slower in only a few seconds when I had tried to start it. So I turn off the ignition, and suddenly my lights came back, the beeping letting me know the key was in the ignition came back, and the car was acting normal all the sudden. Car started right up, except now I had a bunch of warning lights.

CEL, Engine System Service Required, and SRS Airbag Service URGENT.

Got the car home without any problems, and thought that I should check the obvious things first. Battery, Alternator, and my grounding points. Grounding Points were nice and tight, Alternator was keeping the battery above 13V under heavy load, and the battery itself just sitting was staying at above 12.6V, though it fluctuated a lot between 12.6 and 12.8 or 9. So now really confused, I decided that I should check the infamous CEM that I've been reading about. After pulling it all out, disconnecting the battery of course, I visually inspected the CEM and didn't see anything obvious. The CEM looked like it had already been replaced before, since it had the red waterproofing coating all over and what I think was a heat sink over the main chip. Regardless, I didn't see anything obvious, but of course visual inspection can only tell you so much. Put it all back together and the car runs perfectly, except for the SRS warning light.

I'm a bit stumped as to what it could be that's caused/causing the problem. The only things that I can imagine it is is either the CEM being a troublemaker or the battery is actually just on the way out. Or, my Volvo decided to have it's time of the month or something.

Sadly, I don't have access to a VIDA/DICE scanner. And I really do not want to have to end up bringing it to the Volvo dealer.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
16,861 Posts
Yeah- VIDA/DICE is key sometimes. That aside, despite alternator reading ok mine was actually dying. That caused a host of similar issues for me. These cars are very sensitive, as you probably know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm...alternator....

I guess at the very least I could take it to Autozone and scan for OBDII codes, see if I can translate any of them over to what VIDA would say. I won't tell me much but at least it's something.

And yeah. I'm quickly learning of the sensitivity of these cars.

·
Registered
16,861 Posts
Yeah - simple tests showed it was OK. It eventually died in 104 degree heat in traffic. Almost killed my car. EVERYTHING shut down, so don't let it get there.
Test is mega load on a VERY hot day and see what it's doing.
Also - check this thread for someone near you who may have a VIDA/DICE setup.
Hmmm...alternator....
I guess at the very least I could take it to Autozone and scan for OBDII codes, see if I can translate any of them over to what VIDA would say. I won't tell me much but at least it's something.
And yeah. I'm quickly learning of the sensitivity of these cars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah - simple tests showed it was OK. It eventually died in 104 degree heat in traffic. Almost killed my car. EVERYTHING shut down, so don't let it get there.
Test is mega load on a VERY hot day and see what it's doing.
Also - check this thread for someone near you who may have a VIDA/DICE setup.
Alright. I'll see about taking a look at that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How old is the battery?
If I were to guess, several years old. I'll have to look for a receipt in the service records to see if there's anything there, since the last people who replaced the battery didn't mark when they did it. Because of course. And the date stamp on the battery is so light I can't read it.

I probably should just replace it regardless, since in all likelihood it's old.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New update. Tested the battery, and it came back good. For a 730 CCA battery it tested 705 or so. Also took it to Advanced Auto on the way to an oil change to see what kinda codes an OBD reader could pull.

To my surprise, it didn't pull anything. This is what came up.

View attachment 53191

Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I think I figured out what my problem is. Very hot day here yesterday in the Denver area. Was driving down the road here and felt like the car hit a rock or something. Did the exact same thing again several miles down the road. Each time it did that the AC would momentarily turn off. Turned the AC just towards my feet and the problem disappeared. So, unfortunately, it looks like the CEM in my car is indeed crapping out. HECK.

Does anyone know any people in the Denver area that can fix this for a not ridiculous price? I really don't wanna take my car to the Stealership in Englewood, plus I've heard the cost to repair these at the dealer is eye-watering.

·
Registered
16,861 Posts
Can't see the attachment you posted, but I'm gonna say it again - alternator could be suspect. That will throw everything into a tailspin.
Well, I think I figured out what my problem is. Very hot day here yesterday in the Denver area. Was driving down the road here and felt like the car hit a rock or something. Did the exact same thing again several miles down the road. Each time it did that the AC would momentarily turn off. Turned the AC just towards my feet and the problem disappeared. So, unfortunately, it looks like the CEM in my car is indeed crapping out. HECK.

Does anyone know any people in the Denver area that can fix this for a not ridiculous price? I really don't wanna take my car to the Stealership in Englewood, plus I've heard the cost to repair these at the dealer is eye-watering.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

That’s seems like pretty weak circumstantial evidence...
FWIW, our P3 battery gave out on us and we got no signs of it until we got lots of signs: no turn over, weird trouble indicators on dash (airbag CEL’s) etc. It didn’t even turn over slowly or anything. Then next minute it was just fine and would go about it’s merry way for edt of day.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
17,318 Posts
That’s seems like pretty weak circumstantial evidence...
FWIW, our P3 battery gave out on us and we got no signs of it until we got lots of signs: no turn over, weird trouble indicators on dash (airbag CEL’s) etc. It didn’t even turn over slowly or anything. Then next minute it was just fine and would go about it’s merry way for edt of day.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70
04s are known to have CEM issues.

·
Registered
527 Posts
O gawd. CEM issues? extremely unlikely. 04's dont have CEM issues. all P2 volvos have quirks. If any P2 CEM gets wet or has been exposed to moisture then it could have an issue. Related, if heater core fails on any P2 it could leak on the SUM module and kill it, etc.

Was your windshield ever replaced? if yes then a shoddy job could allow water to enter cabin. CEM's were redisigned in 06' to increase functionality but not because of reliability. Module placement or something also modified.

If electrical/ harness/ wire and *not* electronic module related -the 04 alternator has regulator that can be replaced vs entire alternator. Also if 3-5yrs old recommend you replace battery w/ new interstate or equal quality battery.

then get vida or fins someone to scan. Wonky old battery will actually cause all kinds of strange behavior. good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
O gawd. CEM issues? extremely unlikely. 04's dont have CEM issues. all P2 volvos have quirks. If any P2 CEM gets wet or has been exposed to moisture then it could have an issue. Related, if heater core fails on any P2 it could leak on the SUM module and kill it, etc.

Was your windshield ever replaced? if yes then a shoddy job could allow water to enter cabin. CEM's were redisigned in 06' to increase functionality but not because of reliability. Module placement or something also modified.

If electrical/ harness/ wire and *not* electronic module related -the 04 alternator has regulator that can be replaced vs entire alternator. Also if 3-5yrs old recommend you replace battery w/ new interstate or equal quality battery.

then get vida or fins someone to scan. Wonky old battery will actually cause all kinds of strange behavior. good luck!
Thanks for the info mate. It's been a while since I've been round here but I'm finally getting some kind of answers.

I haven't been able to track down a VIDA scanner but I did find someplace that can at least scan the car and give me some codes. So...it's something.

The car is sending 4 ABS codes that we can see.

0115 - Commu Bet Ctl Units Commu Prob with SAS, Sig Miss
0094 - Communication between Control Units / Communication Problem with AOC
E003 - Configuration Malfunction / Faulty Configuration
0150 - Stop Lamp Switch Signal / Outside Performance Range

1 - 15 of 15 Posts