SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So since it's Thanksgiving break all my college friends and I are back in town and catching up. I let one of my friends who can drive a manual but had his left foot in a brace for 4 months (so he lost a lot of feel/muscle in his leg) drive my car. He stalled it a few times and finally got it going, but now I notice that my clutch friction point is smaller and it doesn't grab as well as it used to. Also when starting I notice that the car seems to slowly move forward like normal when entering the friction zone of the clutch but then its almost as if the clutch just suddenly grabs and the car lurches.

After I let him drive I did some spirited driving and hard corners and got a brake fluid low warning, went away after a few seconds and there is no fluid coming from the transmission bellhousing or any of the brakes, fluid reservoir looks a little low though, brakes felt a little mushy for a second or two when the warning came on. Is it possible that the brake fluid reservoir was a little low, and under a hard corner the clutch line got a few air bubbles in it and that's now causing my clutch to feel a little odd?

I don't have time to replace the clutch/flywheel/slave til winter break so I'm hoping it's just temporary or just a tiny amount of air in the line...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Sounds like a slave cylinder failure :(

Mine had the similar mooshy brake feel and clutch didn't grab as well. It must have happened when he was stalling. Keep an eye for leaks and see if the brake fluid gets lower.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
To start, not your buddies fault as this was gonna happen soon anyway. Def slave failure. You can start topping off the fluid to buy you a week or so but it means about $1200-1500 repair. Sorry man. Had my turn this past July.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
To start, not your buddies fault as this was gonna happen soon anyway. Def slave failure. You can start topping off the fluid to buy you a week or so but it means about $1200-1500 repair. Sorry man. Had my turn this past July.
Exactly, I didn't mean to blame your friend haha. It would have happened no matter what. IF you do it soon enough, you can avoid having to buy a new flywheel, but if you have to, go with viva single mass one :) Not only is it cheaper than OEM, it will also make your car noticeably faster in lower gears.

Also I wish it had cost me only $1200! I paid $2200 but they did replace my clutch and as I told them, they resurfaced the flywheel and took off as much weight as possible.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nooooooo! No I don't really blame him, maybe he pushed it over the edge but it's something I knew would go south soon anyways.

Better sooner than later really, glad it happened now instead of during finals...looks like I'll be riding my bike to classes in the 20 degree weather now :D

I'll definitely pick up the viva single mass flywheel, my dual mass is clunking and would most likely need to be replaced anyways, I'm thinking about going with just another OEM clutch, the other option would be stage 3+ but thats $1000 as opposed to under $400...I'm planning on getting an ARD tune at 20psi and water/meth injection...think the 04-05 style OEM clutch will hold up with the added torque or should I opt for the spec 3+?

I've got a good local indy shop that would be fair about pricing, I'll give them a call and get a quote.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I did it myself for $350 - Only changed slave, trans fluid, and broke the mount for the crank speed sensor (which was only $25)

·
Premium Member
10,799 Posts
Nooooooo! No I don't really blame him, maybe he pushed it over the edge but it's something I knew would go south soon anyways.

Better sooner than later really, glad it happened now instead of during finals...looks like I'll be riding my bike to classes in the 20 degree weather now :D

I'll definitely pick up the viva single mass flywheel, my dual mass is clunking and would most likely need to be replaced anyways, I'm thinking about going with just another OEM clutch, the other option would be stage 3+ but thats $1000 as opposed to under $400...I'm planning on getting an ARD tune at 20psi and water/meth injection...think the 04-05 style OEM clutch will hold up with the added torque or should I opt for the spec 3+?

I've got a good local indy shop that would be fair about pricing, I'll give them a call and get a quote.
oem should be good for 450 hp or so... so you should be ok

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just checked again, def leaking brake fluid from the bellhousing now.

Getting a quote from the shop as I type this, opting for OEM clutch and single mass flywheel, I go back to school next monday so this needs to get done quick...

Anything else I should have done when I get the clutch/flywheel/slave replaced?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Right on. They will inspect the rear man seal when they take the FW off. If it's dry it can be left alone. If not it's a cheap part (under $20). You seem to have read-up on the various parts available, just make sure that you get the new design vent tube along with the updated slave.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right on. They will inspect the rear man seal when they take the FW off. If it's dry it can be left alone. If not it's a cheap part (under $20). You seem to have read-up on the various parts available, just make sure that you get the new design vent tube along with the updated slave.
Yeah I was going to get Viva's slave kit that I think mentions having the updated vent tube, hoping to order everything off of them...might even throw in the CBV to cheer me up lol

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
For sure have the rear main seal replaced while the trans is out. Not worth the headache if it starts leaking and the trans has to come out again.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Not a bad idea to do the CBV at the same time, would be very easy to access it. If/when mine goes I'm planning on doing the same: single mass flywheel, oem clutch, CBV, silicone TCV lines, and maybe even an upgraded intake pipe from the airbox to turbo (not sure what iteration I'd go with yet). Also, I'd have them check the angle gear collar and make sure it isn't looking too worn/rusty/stripped.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Parts are ordered via Viva, thanks George!

Went with the OEM clutch, single mass flywheel, slave cylinder kit, new flywheel bolts, RMS, CBV, and some vac hoses that I can use to replace my red vac line and CBV line. I don't have room in my budget at all for the collar sleeve, I'm pushing the limits of my bank account as it is... With overnight shipping the parts total is right around $1,700!! Add in another $1,000 for the install of everything, and I should have my car back Wednesday morning...

I want to point out that George at Viva was a huge help in all of this, in the span of a few hours I went from freaking out about possibly not having a car for a few weeks to having all the parts on order and headed my way. He's quick to respond via email and knows his stuff.

Viva is the way to go, and you simply can not beat their customer service.

Thanks again George!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Nice. George is def good people.

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Parts are ordered via Viva, thanks George!

Went with the OEM clutch, single mass flywheel, slave cylinder kit, new flywheel bolts, RMS, CBV, and some vac hoses that I can use to replace my red vac line and CBV line. I don't have room in my budget at all for the collar sleeve, I'm pushing the limits of my bank account as it is... With overnight shipping the parts total is right around $1,700!! Add in another $1,000 for the install of everything, and I should have my car back Wednesday morning...

I want to point out that George at Viva was a huge help in all of this, in the span of a few hours I went from freaking out about possibly not having a car for a few weeks to having all the parts on order and headed my way. He's quick to respond via email and knows his stuff.

Viva is the way to go, and you simply can not beat their customer service.

Thanks again George!
Glad to hear you got everything you needed before thanksgiving..

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Glad to hear you got everything you needed before thanksgiving..
It was a nightmare getting everything setup, but it all worked out so far. Parts will come in the mail tomorrow, I'll drive the R to the shop once they come in (carefully of course lol), then the shop will install it all that afternoon and Wednesday morning, then i'll get the car back Wednesday afternoon.

500 miles of easy throttle city driving and nothing over 3000rpm to break the clutch/flywheel in correct?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts