SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife reports that the car automatically locks itself if the key is inside after a brief delay. This has locked her out a few times -- for example, she loads up groceries and puts her bag in the car, then shuts to door to return the cart to the cart bin. She gets back and the doors are all locked. Fortunately, one time she had her phone so she used the remote unlock, and one time our 10-year old was in the car so she opened the locks.

Why does it do that and why can't I find a setting in the car to prevent it? I can understand auto-locking once the car reaches a certain speed, but why do it when the car is still.

Our old car (Infiniti) would not let the doors be locked from the outside door control if it sensed the key in the car.

Any help?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
One of the buttons on tailgate locks the vehicle and the other doesn't. Is it possible that she's using the lock button unintentionally?

·
Registered
243 Posts
There are two buttons on the lower edge of the tailgate. One shuts the tailgate and locks all doors and the other just shuts the tailgate.
There is also automatic relocking after two minutes if the tailgate and doors are shut.
It looks like something needs to be changed.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
There are two buttons on the lower edge of the tailgate. One shuts the tailgate and locks all doors and the other just shuts the tailgate.
There is also automatic relocking after two minutes if the tailgate and doors are shut.
It looks like something needs to be changed.
I want to check this out later, its a little confusing. The auto relocking is when the vehicle is unlocked,then no door or tailgate is opened. In that scenario the car will automatically relock. This sounds a little different and I'm not sure mine behaves the same way. I believe I have left the key in the car and left for a short while then returned and had it stay unlocked. The tailgate lock button is definitely a possible culprit here but I'm going to check out how mines behaving later.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want to check this out later, its a little confusing. The auto relocking is when the vehicle is unlocked,then no door or tailgate is opened. In that scenario the car will automatically relock. This sounds a little different and I'm not sure mine behaves the same way. I believe I have left the key in the car and left for a short while then returned and had it stay unlocked. The tailgate lock button is definitely a possible culprit here but I'm going to check out how mines behaving later.
Why does the car ever automatically lock when it's parked. That seems unnecessary. It seems to only do it when the key is IN the car, as I got so many "your car is unlocked" notifications when they car was in my garage that I had to turn them off.

I've never had a car automatically lock like that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Exact same thing happened to my wife yesterday and she was NOT using the tailgate. Car autolocked with her purse and keys inside.

I had to remotely unlock with the iPhone App.

This is very bad, and quite dangerous. What if it auto locks with a baby in the car!!!???

·
Registered
192 Posts
In my wife's Lexus, on many occasions if the car is locked and we leave the key on the car (ex: cup holder, dash, etc) we can unlock it by just by holding the door handle for approx 3 seconds. Are we saying that if the car is locked with the keys inside there is no way to open the vehicle except the app??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Are we saying that if the car is locked with the keys inside there is no way to open the vehicle except the app??
Correct. It is very strange. I've owned many vehicles with remote entry and never had one with the locking/unlocking problems like this. It is maddening.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had this happen too. I have to assume Volvo will fix this right away. The liability issue is too large to ignore. The lawsuits would be tremendous if this caused death of a baby in the summer etc.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Correct. It is very strange. I've owned many vehicles with remote entry and never had one with the locking/unlocking problems like this. It is maddening.
Are you saying that if you're in the car with the keys and you lock the doors you want a carjacker to be able to open your doors?

Or say you leave your teen in the car with the key and a stranger approaches, she should be happy that the stranger can open the door?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, because carjacking is a real concern. If you are worried about that, buy an armored car.

But you are implying that Volvo has it right and BMW, Lexus, Mecedes, Audi have it wrong when it comes auto locking?
The car should NEVER lock itself when key inside except if the lock button pressed from the inside, or the vehicle is turned on and begins to move and auto lock engages at a certain speed...

You know, like every other NON-defective vehicle...

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was addressing the suggestion that if the key is locked in the car, it is stupid that you can only open it with the app.

If the key is locked in the car, then that usually means an occupant of the car has locked the door for security reasons.

However, if the car is auto locking itself, that is a problem!

·
Registered
673 Posts
I've never owned a vehicle that allows you to lock the transponder key in it. If the Volvo is doing this, then I think it's either a bug or a major design flaw.

·
Registered
56 Posts
First car I saw this was my 1958 Honda Accord. Since then, just about every car I've had (Lexus and BMW)will do that. In my last two BMW you can deselect it in the menu with the I-drive. With both Lexus you had to select it when you first got the car and the dealer would do it. Any change of mind meant a trip to the dealer and a fee $.

A lot of people park out and forget to lock their cars. This may prevent an easy theft.

However, none of those cars would lock the doors with the keys inside.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Hopefully the Software update will rectify it. The 2016 XC60s do not behave that way. I understand that the XC90 has a newer Sensus application.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same thing happened to my wife today. Does anybody know if this has been fixed with the new update?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts