SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here’s the thing, I’ve never really use the AC in my car with a sweltering summer temperatures are getting right now, 475 poor mans ac isn’t cutting it. The few days I’ve used it in nthe past for short periods it never seemed to work well.

What’s happening you ask? Well when I’m below 40 mph it will blow cold as ice and Freeze me out of the car. 50% of the time. Other times it’s only if I’m under 25 mph.

When I originally found this issue I charge the system of the pressure was fine, still is. What would cause this issue? My first thought is the AC compressor or the clutch on the compressor is slipping. I’ve gone through and I’ve cleaned out everything that I can in the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is there any correlation to RPM instead of speed? When you come to a stop, does it start blowing cold immediately or does it take a while? Could the condenser be freezing up and then warming up at slower speeds when it can then begin to cool again?

·
Registered
17,295 Posts
Heat soak or slipping compressor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there any correlation to RPM instead of speed? When you come to a stop, does it start blowing cold immediately or does it take a while? Could the condenser be freezing up and then warming up at slower speeds when it can then begin to cool again?
Nope. Like I can be doing 25 mph in traffic and it will blow warm. Or I can be doing 65 and it’ll blow ice cold and cut out to warm.

Recirc on or off makes no difference. Running in auto climate control or manual makes little difference, but I tend to leave it manual because it works ever so slightly better

I can feel/hear the clutch cycling off and on in traffic...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
You probably need to reshim the AC clutch. Not sure if you add or remove length, never done it. My 2003 had the same issue, but the A/C wouldn't work unless I was at highway speeds, otherwise it was just warm air. I replaced it with a used compressor before finding out about the clutch issue. But, also check the frion level, there should be a knob under the P/S and Coolant reservoirs

edit: nvm just read that you checked the pressure on it

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
So, AC is cycling, but blowing warm air? Hmmm. Blend air or temp sensor issue?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, AC is cycling, but blowing warm air? Hmmm. Blend air or temp sensor issue?
Blows cold then cuts out to less than cold not quite warm. Blend door is closed and set to manual (I have IAQS). Auto ecc is off, set for air blowing to the floor or dash front vents. If I turn more than one direction on while it’s blowing cold, fuggetaboutit blowing anything but warm air

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
CCM issue? Check with VIDA? Do a blend air door calibration?

·
Registered
743 Posts
AC compressor clutch air gap being out of spec? (See post #5 about external shimming).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Either the clutch or not enough refrigerant. If I understand correctly, you checked for pressure, but did you check the amount? You should have a label under the bonnet, where it says the amount. I know for the XC90 its 1000g, should be a little less with your XC70.

If you don't use your AC much, it will more likely leak refrigerant and the compressor is not lubricated enough. You should at least run your AC every other week for 15 to 20 minutes. That's what I was told years ago from a mechanic...

EDIT: I personally run the AC all the time and got a dog as a reason :D :D :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Either the clutch or not enough refrigerant. If I understand correctly, you checked for pressure, but did you check the amount? You should have a label under the bonnet, where it says the amount. I know for the XC90 its 1000g, should be a little less with your XC70.

If you don't use your AC much, it will more likely leak refrigerant and the compressor is not lubricated enough. You should at least run your AC every other week for 15 to 20 minutes. That's what I was told years ago from a mechanic...

I filled it with r134 when I checked the pressures. Pretty sure that’s not the issue.

Leaning towards the clutch tbh. There’s a good lower miles compressor with my name on it waiting, but if that’s not the cause then I really don’t want to throw parts at it and see what sticks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FWIW I can also hear what sounds like the clutch engaging or clacking when I first start the car...something in the drive belt line is making noise for sure.

·
Registered
16,810 Posts
I run it all year long. My wife doesn't understand, especially in the winter. Um, it's called no fogged windows after someone gets in with snowy feet (all weather mats ftw).
It's 72 and clear all year in my car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I overfilled AC once on the now sold V70. It did exactly what you've described.
I considered that as a possibility. However it did the same thing before I topped off the system (which is why I never really used it in the first place lol)

May just swap the compressor and refill the system from dry...see what happens

Not trying to think about it today lol. Overate birthday breakfast, got the itis and food sweats lol, time to go take a nap and leave the wagen alone for the day

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I considered that as a possibility. However it did the same thing before I topped off the system (which is why I never really used it in the first place lol)

May just swap the compressor and refill the system from dry...see what happens

Not trying to think about it today lol. Overate birthday breakfast, got the itis and food sweats lol, time to go take a nap and leave the wagen alone for the day

HAppy birthday hope it’s nice and air conditioned

·
Registered
186 Posts
My 01 V70, used to blow cold for about 15 minutes then give up and blow hot air, checked so many things, added a condensor fan etc, correct amount of gas etc, turned out the drier was almost fully blocked and it would block up fully after a short time, replaced the drier and a regal and it's the best it's ever been!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Your XC70 should have a temp sensor stuck into the side of the evaporator. When ice forms, the compressor turns off until the ice melts. This sensor can be accessed behind the kick plate just to the right of the gas pedal.

Have you tried using the automatic mode? That is why there is an ECC installed in the car; set the temperature and forget about it. If you disable the ECC and set the temp to max low, which I have seen in too many cars, things will freeze up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys :)

I’ve run it on auto, seems to be the same if not worse

1 - 19 of 19 Posts