SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I read C&D and see all the performance specs - then compare them to my R - I am always reminded that the really fast cars all are lighter than our Rs!

The R is not the heaviest car on the road - but it's pretty heavy. If it were only a few hundred pounds lighter - it would be so much faster.

Now I"m not really interested in the ricer techniques of gutting my interior, and removing my seats....

I just wonder if there really is any way to shed weight on a car like ours and not completely ruin the cars practicality/streetability/etc.

I like my seats, I like my AC, I like the stereo, etc etc.

I guess one could always ditch the spare...the jack...but how much would that save? Drive around on a 1/4 tank of gas....

I know there isn't an anvil in the trunk that I can just remove - but has anyone ever given serious thought to how one would make the R enough lighter that it would make a different in performance??

The only thing that jumps out at me is - WHEELS/Brakes....

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Start with the exhaust bracket. Might be worth a pound.
Without looking up the stats, is the R heavier than its main competitors like the Audi A4/S4? The 330/M3 might be a little lighter, but I wonder if the 330 ix is lighter since it is also AWD.
The R is a luxury cruiser so it really isn't designed for light weight like you can with say the Evo RS.
Lighter wheels would probably be a good start.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
You are on the right track.

Wheels, tires and brakes are probably the easiest places to start without sacrificing the 'creature' comforts we enjoy in the R.
With some imagination, you can probably shave up to 50lbs of unsprung weight in these three areas alone. Think of the VIVA Performance rotors or our upcoming WP High Performance Braking System, OZ wheels, and Toyo T1-R tires will get you there. With this will also come increased performance and handling.

On the older Volvo models (850, 70 series), a Carbon Fiber hood saved about 40lbs, but the Aluminum S60/V70 hoods are already very light, so no real gains there.

The Titanium exhaust system sold by a Japanese firm is also another option, but is $$$$.

I am not sure of the weight of the trunk, but there may be potential gains with a Carbon Fiber replacement.

The front seats are pretty heavy (70+lbs each), try finding some nice leather/suede power Recaro seats if you want to retain some level of creature comfort.

Also worth noting is that the existence of a sunroof adds considerable weight at the highest point in the car.

The Mitsubishi Evo MR model replaces the standard steel hood sheetmetal with aluminum sheetmetal for some weight savings at the highest point in the car.

Next would be to replace body panels with Carbon Fiber molded replicas.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Re: Weight Reduction in an R - Realistic Ways to Shave some Weight??? (23109VC)

You need to find some good 17x8 wheels in the 16lbs range, Toyo does make light tires, you might be able to save 10lbs per corner, more if you are running 18's, especially pegs.
If you upgrade brakes to save wieght, make sure they are actually lighter, alum hat rotors would be but I would be curious if there was a caliper/pad combo that is drop in and lighter.
I don't think a FMIC would be lighter over the stock unit, it is also a few inches farther out from the center of rotation. Haven't seen this mentioned as a benefit of those that have done FMIC already.

There is this old thread too, http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=32050

Harder things to do for a dedicated owner might be to get a race battery, maybe for the summer.
George mentioned the Ti exhaust which would be real savings but for a dedicated owner with $$$
The power seats ARE heavy, the bonus here is you could probably sell them for good bucks and move into a real nice aftermarket one that is also super comfy for not much money, only do this if you are going to do both.
Don't upgrage the stereo either, extra amps, subs etc really pack on the pounds especially with boxes and install extras.
I would only ditch the spare, jack and stuff at a driving event of some type.
You could probably save a few pounds with a race steering wheel.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: Weight Reduction in an R - Realistic Ways to Shave some Weight??? (23109VC)

18" OZ Ultraleggeras weigh 9.4 lbs less than 18" Pegs.

ViVA/Evolve rotors weigh 6 lbs less than Stock.

That is 15lbs per wheel, or 60lbs of rotating/unsprung mass.

Math gurus have stated rotating mass is 6-8 times harder to accelerate and brake, meaning that the swap to lighter wheels/rotors would equate to losing over 400 lbs when trying to accelerate and brake (if you believe in the math).

I'm told and have read that losing 60 lbs of unsprung weight will make a NOTICEABLE difference in handling.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Re: Weight Reduction in an R - Realistic Ways to Shave some Weight??? ("R" Kelly)

Quote, originally posted by "R" Kelly »

Math gurus have stated rotating mass is 6-8 times harder to accelerate and brake, meaning that the swap to lighter wheels/rotors would equate to losing over 400 lbs (if you believe in the math).

I'm told losing 60 lbs of unsprung weight will make a NOTICEABLE difference in handling.

If you are really going to weight savings don't bother with 18's. They may look better but they do nothing to improve performance.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: Weight Reduction in an R - Realistic Ways to Shave some Weight??? (vintagemilano)

Quote, originally posted by vintagemilano »
If you are really going to weight savings don't bother with 18's. They may look better but they do nothing to improve performance.

You know of a lighter wheel than an 18.4 lb 18x8" OZ Ultraleggera? Only $295 at Tire Rack.

And I disagree, the lower sidewall on a 235/40x18s will have less sidewall flex than 235/45x17s, leading to better lateral grip, albeit with a slight noise/ride penalty.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Re: Weight Reduction in an R - Realistic Ways to Shave some Weight??? ("R" Kelly)

HRE competition series is lighter but $$$ too.

You know of a lighter wheel than an 18.4 lb 18x8" OZ Ultraleggera? Only $295 at Tire Rack.

And I disagree, the lower sidewall on a 235/40x18s will have less sidewall flex than 235/45x17s, leading to better lateral grip, albeit with a slight noise/ride penalty.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts

Sure there are lots lighter wheels out there, SSR comp 17x8 14.3lbs, Kosei K1-TS 17x8 15lbs, BBS RGR 17x7.5 17.5lbs, OZ Ultraleggera 17x8 17lbs that's just from TR, all it takes now is a dedicated owner to get blanks and have them drilled to fit. 5x108 is not that uncommon, same as 5x4.25 and with more and more FWD race cars out there 40mm ET isn't uncommon either.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Re: Weight Reduction in an R - Realistic Ways to Shave some Weight??? (vintagemilano)

Sure there are lots lighter wheels out there, SSR comp 17x8 14.3lbs, Kosei K1-TS 17x8 15lbs, BBS RGR 17x7.5 17.5lbs, OZ Ultraleggera 17x8 17lbs that's just from TR, all it takes now is a dedicated owner to get blanks and have them drilled to fit. 5x108 is not that uncommon, same as 5x4.25 and with more and more FWD race cars out there 40mm ET isn't uncommon either.

all these are lighter but 17 inches, lol.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts

Math gurus have stated rotating mass is 6-8 times harder to accelerate and brake, meaning that the swap to lighter wheels/rotors would equate to losing over 400 lbs when trying to accelerate and brake (if you believe in the math).

I'm told and have read that losing 60 lbs of unsprung weight will make a NOTICEABLE difference in handling.

Agreed 100%.

Just to clarify, the ViVA Performance Rotors are NOT the same as the Evolve rotors. Evolve rotors are 5lbs lighter than stock, but the ViVA rotors are 6.1lbs lighter than stock

With regards to caliper/pad combinations, our upcoming WP High Performance Braking System may help in that area. The 6-piston caliper option weighs about 5lbs each, and the 8-piston caliper weighs about 7lbs each. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: Weight Reduction in an R - Realistic Ways to Shave some Weight??? (George @ ViVA)

Again, Sean isn't the least bit interested in 17" wheels, you have seen the extroverted nature of his car, right?

Second, you are forgetting that 17" tires with same rolling diameter will weigh MORE than 18" tires. What is the actual weight savings when you add that weight back in?

Quote, originally posted by George @ ViVA »
Just to clarify, the ViVA Performance Rotors are NOT the same as the Evolve rotors. Evolve rotors are 5lbs lighter than stock, but the ViVA rotors are 6.1lbs lighter than stock

Good point, but I didn't want to post different numbers since I was including Evolve rear rotors in my hypothetical 4 wheel change.

Have your front rotors hit your web-page yet? The pre-release photo I saw looked really good. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,800 Posts

Second, you are forgetting that 17" tires with same rolling diameter will weigh MORE than 18" tires. What is the actual weight savings when you add that weight back in?

True, but the difference between 235,45,17 T1-S (only cause I know where to find the info fast) and 235,40,18 is 0.9lbs which is less that the difference between 17x8 and 18x8 wheels.

Anyone know what a stock R loaded caliper weights?

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what kind of seats could one put in?

cost estimate to buy them?
what are stock R seats worth on ebay?
what do they weigh vs. the heavy stock units? would one save only a little or a LOT by swapping seats? I doubt I'd do it as I love my seats....but it's a thought.

i've already got the evolve rotors. I'd just need lighter wheels.... maybe when my tires finally give up on me.

how much do the OZ Super Tourismo wheels weigh..those would look nice on an R.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Re: (23109VC)

Quote, originally posted by 23109VC »
what kind of seats could one put in?

cost estimate to buy them?
what are stock R seats worth on ebay?
what do they weigh vs. the heavy stock units? would one save only a little or a LOT by swapping seats? I doubt I'd do it as I love my seats....but it's a thought.

i've already got the evolve rotors. I'd just need lighter wheels.... maybe when my tires finally give up on me.

how much do the OZ Super Tourismo wheels weigh..those would look nice on an R.

looking at 3K for Recaro topline with heat AND a/c, full power and lumbar. Pretty light too. Has potental to save 40-60 lbs. BUT, they don't have anything that really matches the R.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.