SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the current state of drivers shuffling like crazy this season, and williams not picking up Mark Webber's option, where does everyone think he will go? My hope is that he ends up at BMW, but I don't know if Briatorre has other plans. With Raikonnen most likely at Ferrari next season I can't imagine Renault being satisfied with a Webber/Fisichella line-up. Anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Re: Webber in F1 (Vipergtsz3)

He has signed today for Red Bull - <A HREF="http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=126898" TARGET="_blank">click here</A><p>David Coulthard has also had his contract extended with the team.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Webber in F1 (hikennys)

Just saw that too. I wonder if this was his only option or if it was the money. I was surprised that no one else went after him considering that he is a pretty decent driver when given a capable machine. My first thought was that BMW may go after him given that Villenueve has been shaky about staying in F1 for a while and now with his termination, but it seems like they plan on moving Kubica up to the 2nd seat.

·
Registered
119 Posts

It appears that it was his only option (after "flav" expressed his desire for Kovalainen or Raikkonen for the Renault) And Kubica looks good for BMW - and will be cheap. A Adrain Newey designed Red Bull with a lot of money in the kitty and the bonus of having a sister "B" team to help out (Toro Rosso) might not be a bad place to be next season.<br>I do feel a bit sorry for Villeneuve, because a lot of the incidents he was involved in (clash with Ralf Schmacher, and suspension failure at Hockenhiem) were not his fault. In fact, the team were praiseing his ability earlier in the season, and some of his many critics were too.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Webber in F1 (hikennys)

While that's true about Villenueve, he also left BMW on the fence about his possible return to F1. It had long been rumored that he was looking at racing in America, most likely nascar, back over a month ago. It will be interesting to see how BMW will now progress with Kubica. <p>As for Webber, I still that Williams wanted to hold onto him but couldn't afford the amount of money that was to be providedif the extension options were picked up. Hopefully Red Bull can give him a good car. They have always been reliable, but just not competitive. Maybe this will change that.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts

Webber isn't that good. I don't see him ever winning a race unless he lands a seat in one of the big 3 teams, and that's not likely to happen at this point in his career. And when he does qualify well, something goes wrong. He needs more consistancy in moving up in the order from his starting spot, and finishing races. Red Bull should provide some assistance in finishing, but it's up to him to do his job. I think Coulthard will outperform him like he has Klien this year.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Webber in F1 (towerymt)

He's not that good, but better than a lot of other drivers out there...Sato, Yamamato, the STR drivers, the MF1 cars, Klein, and I would contest that he is better than Villenueve at this point, not to mention Fisi and his williams team mates. I think that it should be interesting to see him with Coulthard. The two could make for an interesting team to watch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts