SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 XC90 T6 Momentum Plus seems to be noticeably noisier on the highway than my 2017 XC90 T6 Inscription.

Besides changing the tires, is there any way to reduce the driving noise?

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
Maybe it will be due to replace tires in a year. Get a set of quieter tires first. :)
Tires with low tread depth (less than 6/32 for example) are much more noisier.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Unless you make a complete professional sound insulation of all the parts (doors, chassis, wheel arcs ), there is no way to reduce the cabin noise at least a bit ... Volvo did not make this job ...

·
Registered
2018 Volvo XC90 T6 R-Design with air suspension and B&W Sound system
641 Posts
Ivos, that is not true... tires have a big impact on road noise and doing nothing else but changing to a quieter tire can make a noticeable improvement. This is true of most cars in general...

The addition of sound deadening material (which I have done some of) can further improve it but can be rather expensive and intrusive as you have to take the car apart to do it unfortunately. Tires is a much easier change to implement.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you have a 2016 there is a TJ that you can reference for additional sound deadening to be installed in and around the driver side a Pilar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have a 2016 there is a TJ that you can reference for additional sound deadening to be installed in and around the driver side a Pilar.

Good to know - how would I find the technical journal?

My XC90 came with 4 brand new 19" Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires <--these could be the problem

·
Registered
211 Posts

My XC90 came with 4 brand new 19" Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires <--these could be the problem
I had OEM Scorpion Verdes on my 17 and they are noisier. I replaced them, when it was time, with the Scorpion Verde Plus that is sold along side the regular Scorpion Verde. They are significantly quieter. It might be because they are newer but I have about 8k on them now and still seem like they are quieter.

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts

TJ 30853.2.0 “Road Noise Heard from B-Pillar”.

Adds insulation and sealant to both B pillars. 2016 only

1 - 10 of 10 Posts