SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The R is due for a wax and I never seem to be able to complete it without getting wax on all of the black plastic trim pieces. Does anyone here remove those prior to waxing to make it easier? I know the front bumper ones come off real easy, how about the doors and rear bumper? Or if I do get wax on them, what gets it off? I seem to have white streaks on the things for weeks when I'm done.

Also, I know it's been covered in the past, but wax recommendations? I've used several different kinds in the past but haven't found one I'm really happy with.

TKS

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I tape off trim while polishing. The wax I use doesn't stain trim.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I assume you've got an 04' with the non painted trim. You can always just spend a few minutes putting blue painters tape on the trim pieces to cover them up. Might add another 20 minutes to your detailing time?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I assume you've got an 04' with the non painted trim. You can always just spend a few minutes putting blue painters tape on the trim pieces to cover them up. Might add another 20 minutes to your detailing time?
The extra time taken to do this will save you lots of frustration later on.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I am using the Zaino products with good results. Have tried lots of stuff, but this seems to have the best "wet" look of everything I have used.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just some painters tape. I like either Opti-Seal or Jetseal 109 topped with some Poorboy's Natty's paste wax for ease of use and bang for the buck.

It's all in the prep though, so a clay and polish does wonders beforehand.

I also use this stuff called Black Wow on my trim to get rid of wax staining and discoloration. I find it time consuming to work with though, so if anyone has some better recommendations that are easy to use with the same durability let me know.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
What about masking them with some of that blue or green painters tape?

EDIT: This is what happens when you open the thread, don't see any replies, go to lunch, then answer it without refreshing the page. Durrr....

·
Registered
463 Posts
Now that we know we're not talking about "manscaping" |-P...

Last year, I E-mailed the good people at Mothers, and one of their chemists was kind enough to reply promptly:

What they suggested for removing the wax residue was some WD-30 on a rag - It worked really well.
Only problem was oily smudging around the trim that picked-up dust (came-off the next time I washed the car)

On some caRs, I really like the look of the un-painted black trim. Only problem is that it is a ROYAL FRIGGIN' PITA when waxing.

I like to use Mother's products - when I feel the need to nearly kill an entire day putting the shine-on, I:
1. Get a basic wash at Wash-Brite (just a few blocks away) saves work on knocking the initial crud off.
2. Clay bar the car
3. Use Mother's Cali Gold Step-1 (It's a really mild compound that removes any oxidation)
4. Finish Polish with Mother's Reflexions Polymer (Not really a "wax", but produces a really nice, long-lasting shine!)
5. Wait for it to Rain....

New "Step 2A" will be to mask the trim with 3M Blue

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Mothers California Gold Car Wash
Any Clay bar w/ good detail spray
Turtle Wax Black Car kit (this is a pre-wax cleaner and a colored wax and detail spray)
Forever Black for the trim (this isnt an alcohol renewer, its an actual dye so the plastic must be prepped. However, it will last multiple car washes)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
All good advice above. Painter's tape, mother's plastic cleaner.
When you do screw up, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser helps.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
peanut butter will remove the wax residue

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
The R is due for a wax and I never seem to be able to complete it without getting wax on all of the black plastic trim pieces. TKS
As was said, I guess you never heard of masking tape? :facepalm:
Mask= (to cover or hide something)

·
Registered
463 Posts
As was said, I guess you never heard of masking tape? :facepalm:
Mask= (to cover or hide something)
Yeah - But I've NEVER had a caR where I needed to mask the trim before!
(Prior "Detroit Iron" either had painted trim or it had chrome edging where the wax did not get into it.)
Learned this lesson the Hard Way - now, I know better

Plus, I believe that the "Wax" is not causing the problem - it's the Pre-Wax Paint Cleaner / Conditioner that really dries chalkyish and sticks in the textured stuff!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Menzerna sells a product as well to remove the wax residue.

·
Registered
201 Posts
All good advice above. Painter's tape, mother's plastic cleaner.
When you do screw up, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser helps.
X1000000000000!

I made a thread about this on the SRT forums and it's about 12 pages long now because everyone is amazed how it turns oxidized plastic like new.. It takes a little elbow grease but it's amazing what it does. It's not expected, you would think it would make it worse and dry it out but it get all the white out and makes it fresh shiny black even when it dries.

Forever black is great to use after using Mr Clean. My trim on my car with 177k looks like new.

I use "Liquid Wax" in the tin can. Works great and is pretty easy. I never have to tape off trim, it takes a little concentration but much less than masking it all!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts