SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah I know... After this time it will be a much more regular thing. I have just never cared about my other cars as much as I do the R.

What products are you guys using? Why?

Any tips or tricks?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,799 Posts
Yeah I know... After this time it will be a much more regular thing. I have just never cared about my other cars as much as I do the R.

What products are you guys using? Why?

Any tips or tricks?

Thanks
Clay bar and liquid glass!

Best combo

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Blackfire Wet Diamond Conditioning Shampoo
Pinnacle Poly Clay
Finish Kare 425 for lube
Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant
Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnauba Wax

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I tried waxing the first time myself, My eyebrows have never looked better and my bikini line is nice and smooth :D

But all kidding aside, I tried a claybar kit I bought at a discount place near my house and it worked really good! Came with 2 bars of clay, cloths and detailing spray. I would go that route if you have never done it before. You can buy the same kit at walmart for like $19.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Auto Glym custom wheel cleaner
Auto Glym bodywork conditioning shampoo
Meguiar's clay bar
Meguiar's quick detailer for lubricant
Auto Glym HD Wax

This is when i do a wax at home, at work i do alot more to it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'd rather invest some time twice a year waxing (before summer & winter) rather than lots of frequent upkeep.
What works for me:

Wash down
- with dishwashing liquid

Contaminant removal
- Meguiars clay bar & lubricant

Paint correction (if req)
- Menzerna Super Intensive Polish

Finishing
- Menzerna micro polish

Sealing
- Wolfgang paint sealant 3.0

·
Registered
140 Posts
I use
Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash
Meguiars Clay Bar and Lubricant
Meguiars #105 and #205 Polish
Meguiars #26 HI-Tech Yellow Wax

Haven't done this to the R yet but this is what I used on my 88' Supra with crazy oxidized paint.

Make sure you wax in the shade or in a garage. As well as make sure the paint is cool to the touch.
It doesn't take a lot of wax either.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
I'd rather invest some time twice a year waxing (before summer & winter) rather than lots of frequent upkeep.
What works for me:

Wash down
- with dishwashing liquid (Dawn works best - this will strip off your old wax so only do it if you are going to apply a new coat right away)
Contaminant removal
- Meguiars clay bar & lubricant

Paint correction (if req)
- Menzerna Super Intensive Polish

Finishing
- Menzerna micro polish

Sealing
- Wolfgang paint sealant 3.0

+1 but I use Zaino products but the procedure is the same - spend a day doing this and you will be happy with the results

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Any kind of fine grade clay bar with a cheap quick detailer as a lubricant(in auto stores most clay comes with a quick detailer)
Clay bar removes the contaminants in that soap and water cannot. It is a simple and cheap way that helps your wax bond a little better(and longer) to the paint.

These guys recommending compounding and polishing probably have >$500 tied up in detailing stuff. Start with the basics first. Clay barring will take you about an hour for the entire car once ya get the hang of it. I'm sure there are multiple videos on youtube if you want further instruction or information on "clay barring".

Wax is pretty simple. Pick out some sort of paste wax from meguiars. Paste is easy. I prefer it.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Clay bar and liquid glass!
+1 I get the bigger clays off of amazon. Man does the paint feel smooth afterwards...

Didn't expect to see anyone recommend Liquid Glass since its pretty old school, but it works great.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm all about Griot's Garage products. The only thing they don't have is a polish with a heavier cut. If the paint is super ugly I may start with Meguiars heavy-cut before starting with the Griot's polishes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts