SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been trying to fix all of the rattles in my car and such and I still can't wrap my head around this one. Whenever I go over bumps, it's almost like a screw/washer rattle coming from what I believe is the waterfall.
Has anyone else had this? I took apart the waterfall and lock tite'd the screws but still NOTHING.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
How about the plastic trim piece that goes over the CD player?

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
I thought I had a waterfall rattle and it turned out to be the plastic clip on the passenger seat cushion. Took me over a year to track that one down, until I realized it mysteriously went away every time I had a passenger in the car.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I thought I had a waterfall rattle and it turned out to be the plastic clip on the passenger seat cushion. Took me over a year to track that one down, until I realized it mysteriously went away every time I had a passenger in the car.
I had a rattle that drove me crazy. After 6 months, I realized it was my sunglasses in the door pocket.

Easiest fix ever!

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
I had a rattle that drove me crazy. After 6 months, I realized it was my sunglasses in the door pocket.

Easiest fix ever!
Haha, nice!

The stupidest rattle I ever had... The metal band on my watch. I kept thinking it was an air vent or tweeter cover or something, until I finally realized it was my own wrist.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
HAHA^^ of course its usualy something stupid.
Ive got what sounds like loose plastic behind my waterfall-- the noise from my exhaust causes it to rattle, but not bumps or the roads. im replacing the engine mounts next week,, that may help reduce some vibrations in the cabin.

Anybody have a story where being obsessed with finding a rattle actually was helpful? like- i heard some rattle, looked for it, and saw my wheel was about to fall off or something?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the plastic piece that goes over it is lose? Or needs to be reseated?
I'm still trying to figure out how to fix the WHIPS noise on my drivers seat..

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
In my case, it was a plastic piece in the seat skin, like the picture below:

It popped out and was rattling against the seat frame, always sounded like it was coming from the waterfall though.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
^ thats awesome that you found it... my trouble is- my waterfall vibrates and makes a noise, but if i touch the waterfall -- push my hand against it -- it stops the noise. remove hand, noise starts again. i think there may just be a loose piece of plastic trim that got broken off somehow in there. oh well i guess it not too bad.
I remember once having a bad vibration coming from under the hood that i couldnt find forever, and only when i was in gear and rolling forward with foot off both brake and gas.
it turned out to be the air intake coming down from the grill that you have to remove to change the oil was shaking like crazy. that one is pretty common though- especially since im missing one of the 10mm(i think) bolts.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Rattles locations can be very deceptive. I had one that I swore was coming from the passenger door. Turned out to be the overhead console. Bits of plastic tend to break off and rattle inside. Another rattle seemed to be coming from the dash near the windshield, turned out to be the visor.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
The waterfall's exterior trim is held on to the lower waterfall console that houses the climate control by roughly 8 torx sheet metal screws. I'm guessing one of those has come loose or is missing allowing the waterfall to vibrate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts