SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a new water pump on my 91 240 and I am having a problem getting the rubber ring to seal properly on the heater pipe. Is there some sort of technique to this?
I installed the rubber ring into the water pump first. Am I supposed to install the ring onto the heater pipe first?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Water pump sealing problem (g0lden)

Welcome to Swedespeed, David.

Is the new water pump from Volvo or aftermarket?

What caused you to install a new pump?

When you opened the box/package were the seals/gaskets/O-rings loose?

Is it possible that the O-ring on the heater pipe should fit elsewhere?

Do you have all the old items?

Yes, install the correct O-ring on the heater pipe, lube the O-ring with non-petroleum "grease" and then insert into the water pump after confirming that the pump does not have an O-ring already inserted.

George Dill

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Water pump sealing problem (gdill2)

Thanks for the welcome gdill2! I've been looking for a 240 wagon for quite some time and now i finally have one

-The water pump I have is aftermarket from O'rielly autoparts.
-The gasket and two rubber seals were bagged.
-I installed the water pump cause the previous owner used water instead of an anti freeze mix and there was alot of rust inside. I back flushed the system, replaced the upper and lower radiator hoses, thermostat, and water pump just to make sure everything is fresh for my new ride.
-I checked the old pump that came off the car and this seems to be the only place this O-ring fits. Howerever I didn't install it onto the heater pipe first. I will take it off and try this method.

Thanks
David

·
Registered
568 Posts
Re: Water pump sealing problem (g0lden)

Hi! And welcome. There is indeed a trick to fitting the seal. In fact, if you remove your water pump, I'll bet you find the seal is cut and ruined. After placing the seal on the pipe, there is a certain simultaneous lift and push to get the water pump seated and the seal intact. Here at the shop we use dishwasher soap to get rid of the rust. It's hard enough to scrub, soft enough to hurt nothing. We let the car idle for 30-40 minutes w/ water and then drain it all off and rinse.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It turns out the heater pump from the water pump was not bolted into the back of the black. This was leaving it cocked slightly down and not creating a good seal. I bolted it up and put in a new rubber seal. This seems to work as there is no leaks now when the car gets up to temp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts