SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for other ideas. My brother's car sprung a leak. It was coming from the water pump area. He too it to the a shop in eastern PA an drove it home and it leaks just the same. Is there something that I'm missing? The car is a 2000 V70R that I rebuilt the engine a few years ago. I should have done the pump apparently. I'm 2000 miles away from the car now so when I was visiting my brother I had a quick look. Everywhere I looked as a suspect was dry. That transfer pipe on the firewall side of the engine looked nice and dry where it met the head. To dried up trails of coolant. Also the water pump is not an OEM pump, like I was told that it would be. I recommended taking the car straight back and telling them that they need to make it right, but my brother and is wife are expecting a baby in less than two months and this happened in the early spring. I know you guys can't help me motivate the unmotivated, but I need a sanity check.

My theory is that the pump went bad, the shop replaced it and did not scrape off all the gasket material from surface that it hidden from view by the head. The top bolt in the middle it wet with coolant. Is there some other place that could be the source of this leak above that point. I don't know any. I need a sanity check on my theory. I'm blaming it on a rookie mistake.

Next time I visit I might toss a new pump on because I wouldn't blame the shop for not wanting to make good on it, since it has taken so much time. I first encouraged my brother to get on here and see if any of you guys living close could help him. Seems like there are a lot of Volvo-phillies in Eastern PA. I still want a pump that says Aisin on it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts