SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XC70
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I just recently bought a 2004 XC70 with 175k miles.
I decided to tackle some maintenance items, since I don't know what has been done to it (no maintenance records).
I went to do the timing belt, water pump, tensioners and pulleys. On my first attempt, the water pump gasket leaked badly. I hadn't cleaned the block surface as well as I could have, so I went back with a razor blade and really cleaned it up well this time.
I bought a new gasket, reinstalled with the original bolts (the bolts that came with the Rein pump were longer than the OE bolts) with LocTite applied and a very thin film of RTV on the pump gasket.

It now seems to be leaking a very small amount, about a half-dollar size puddle in the morning underneath the car. Could this be from not using new bolts that had the sealant on the threads? I am considering putting RTV on the threads of the longer bolts supplied with the Rein pump and installing them in place of the OE bolts after the RTV sets.

Also, the morning after this work was done I received a P0017. I drove it for 30 minutes the night before and it ran well. I'm surprised to see a crank/cam correlation issue, but maybe I'm off a tooth. I didn't touch the CVVT hub, but neither did I use a cam locking tool. I know I need to get a VIDA tool, I haven't had the car long.

Looks like I shouldn't have touched the thing! :facepalm: Oh well, once I get it sorted I'll feel better.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

·
Registered
81 Posts
From reading other posts, one tooth off will show a code, not sure which one.
Did you mark the original belt at the cam marks or count the teeth between the marks before removal. That's one way to determine if you're off a tooth!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts