SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '04 XC90 has developed a water sloshing sound under the floorpan. The noise is noticeable when braking, presumably when the water moves. There are no leaks under the car. The only thing that is new is that the car was kept outside for a week, when it rained. I also have running boards, and I was wondering if they are hollow and have water in them, or whether it is something more ominous. My brother's XC90 had a sunroof leak that drained into the floorpan. Is this the same problem? Anybody know the fix? Advice please!<br>Thanks.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Re: Water Noise Under Floor (RearWheelPaul)

<p>OR plugged drains for the sun roof....<p><br>Pull up the carpets and get it dried out if there is water, can cause a lot of electrical issues.<p>The sun roof drains probably plugged, you will have to pull the a-pillars and clean the<br>drains. You can check them by opening the sun roof, the drains are in the front corners. Pour<br>some water in by them and see if it drains just behind the front tires.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Water Noise Under Floor (RearWheelPaul)

Thanks...how do I access the drain holes? Any pictures with how to do this?<p>Thanks .

·
Registered
306 Posts
Re: Water Noise Under Floor (dmd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>dmd</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OR plugged drains for the sun roof....</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Good thread on that possibility:<p><A HREF="http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=102526" TARGET="_blank">http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=102526</A>

·
Registered
45 Posts
Re: Water Noise Under Floor (Trevor)

you need to check the sunroof drains that is the number one cause of water leaking into the xc90. There is a bulletin with several steps from inspecting to modifying the sunroof drains. The had problems with the sounds traps behind the a-pillars getting plugged so they modified the openings on the sound traps by enlarging the openings. The old style sound traps were on chassis number between 000690-171367.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Water Noise Under Floor (Sweded)

It was a clogged drain. The car was in the shop for 3 days drying out the wet carpets. I checked the carpets and they didn't appear wet, but the dealer said that they were soaked underneath. The total repair bill was $883 CAD.<p>An independent garage said that they checked the A-pillar drains and that they were fine. The water was in the rear of the sunroof. The dealer said that the A-pillar drain was not working, and the water was under the car (?rocker panel), which is where the water sound was. I don't know who was correct, but the problem seems resolved. Unfortunately, the car is out of warranty and the dealer denies that that it was a design fault.<br>Thanks for everyone's advice. Going to the dealer armed with this information helped me deal with the service "advisor" much more easier.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Re: Water Noise Under Floor (Trevor)

<br>The drains are in the front of the sun roof, so water in the back would be from the car sitting nose<br>high. I am sure it was the drains, happens to many cars that are parked outside or under<br>trees that drop lots of debris. You should lean to check the yourself and service them also. I am<br>sure they dealer didnt widen the drain holes, they will probably just plug again without the holes<br>widened.<br>Easy to check with just a cup of water.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got an XC 90 with the same problem so I pulled the A pillar covers and cleaned out the drains. Now, how do I get the water out of the subframe? I pulled that electrical box from beneath the front passenger seat and there is no water in there. I hear the water, I just can find the water. I've heard about drains for the rockers but no one as of now has pointed them out. Do these drains exist? I pulled a few rubber plugs from beneath the passenger seat but there is no water there. Does anyone have a suggestion?

thanks

·
Registered
953 Posts
I've got an XC 90 with the same problem so I pulled the A pillar covers and cleaned out the drains. Now, how do I get the water out of the subframe? I pulled that electrical box from beneath the front passenger seat and there is no water in there. I hear the water, I just can find the water. I've heard about drains for the rockers but no one as of now has pointed them out. Do these drains exist? I pulled a few rubber plugs from beneath the passenger seat but there is no water there. Does anyone have a suggestion?

thanks
What year xc90 do you have?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts