SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently experiencing a water leak on the driver side floor. I researched this online and all the information that I found was for vehicles with a sunroof.

The irony here is I not only ordered my car without one for extra headroom but also avoid problems like this!

I opened the hood and right by the screen there were a bunch of debris that I cleaned off, is there something else I should be looking at?

·
Registered
92 Posts
have you been using the air conditioner?
are you sure it is not leaking from the passenger side and moving over?
or has it been raining alot?

there is also the fresh air vent filter
it is in the driver side right next to the gas pedal

are you sure it is also not leaking in from the door seals?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I would love to use the air conditioner but I have not. It has been unseasonably cool.

It's not been leaking from the passenger side or from the rear driver side - just driver front footwell. Everywhere else is dry.

Yes it has been raining a lot. I'll take a look at the air vent filter when I get a chance.

So the door seals is an interesting thing. When I bought the car the doors would freeze to the body due to the felt like material over the rubber. I brought it back to the dealer for a total of two full replacements and then Volvo wiped their hands of it and said there was nothing else they could do further. After a few winters enough of this felt like material was torn from the seal that the doors no longer freeze to the body.

However again I don't think this is the issue. Everything in the car is dry except the driver foot well. If there was a door leak I think some evidence of moisture would persist.

I'll probably need to schedule something in the next few days. Unfortunately my dealer no longer offers Loaner vehicles for their customers - only rentals. So much for that image of Luxury.

edit: When I stated some evidence of moisture would persist I meant to say I would also expect the seats to be soaked. This is not the case.

·
Registered
73 Posts
What year is your car? The early ones with Fuyao windscreens had a factory defect where insufficient adhesive was applied to the top of the windscreen. This causes the screen to leak as the car ages and is also a safety issue as the windscreen is structural and required for airbag deployment.

Push on the windscreen at the top. If it moves, that'll be your problem.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Final year 2013.

So two things: After removing a bunch of debris from the top of the engine bay I haven't had a repeat for the flooding. However I did discover that there is likely small leaks happening on the windshield.

Is this simply a matter of someone removing the windshield and reapplying adhesive to it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Final year 2013.

So two things: After removing a bunch of debris from the top of the engine bay I haven't had a repeat for the flooding. However I did discover that there is likely small leaks happening on the windshield.

Is this simply a matter of someone removing the windshield and reapplying adhesive to it?
I just recently had my windshield replaced. They were able to remove the window without breaking mine, however they did not want to take the time to remove the old adhesive from the windshield as that would be time consuming. So they put in an aftermarket one. When I get the time, i'll attempt to start to remove the old adhesive on the window. The old adhesive was not prepped correctly on our cars hence the common failure of them

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The old adhesive was not prepped correctly on our cars hence the common failure of them
Well this sucks :nono: Up until 2013 I admired the C30 from a far and probably would have never purchased one had Volvo not discontinued it. That said, I went into the purchase thinking that in the final year all the bugs would be worked out. Apparently not!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm currently experiencing a water leak on the driver side floor. I researched this online and all the information that I found was for vehicles with a sunroof.

The irony here is I not only ordered my car without one for extra headroom but also avoid problems like this!

I opened the hood and right by the screen there were a bunch of debris that I cleaned off, is there something else I should be looking at?
Worldwide problem with leaking Volvos. No bonding across the top of the windshield. Just push from inside the car at the top of windscreen to see if there is play there. My repairman said he could push the windscreen out. Just replace it. Drying out and rust is harder.

·
Registered
33 Posts
behind each front fender is a foam rubber piece on each side.
I found removing it made the water not leak onto my floor after drains were replaced and fixed.

I also had a LOOSE windshield that water was leaking into

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's unfortunately very common. Volvo are aware of the problem but will not fix it. No bonding material across the top of the windscreen. Probably a computer program error where the robot did not apply bonding material here. The screen leaks and the solution is to replace it . Nothing else works. My insurance did it for free. The carpet and foam have to dry out over a long time. Leave a window or door open on warm days. I will not be buying another Volvo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts