SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Water is coming in the far back corner of my 850 wagon. Here's what I've looked at so far.

Sunroof: I took the headliner out about a year ago for an unrelated repair. Checked all the sunroof drains by blowing air (by mouth) through the tubes. All four were clear. Didn't put anything down the tubes to keep them from being damaged. Sunroof seal also still holds water - water pools in all four corners of the sunroof and doesn't go down. So I don't think it's the sunroof.

Tail light: I took off the upper tail light section and checked it out. No evidence of leaking and the uppermost hole in the taillight body is below where the water is coming from. So I don't think it's the tail light.

Rear hatch: All the seals in the rear hatch and around the hinge seem to be fine, and I can't find any evidence that they are leaking.

Roof rails: I've had the roof rails off, and the only entry points are the bolt holes where the roof rails bolt on to the car. The rails are tight, and when I put them on, I put some 3M strip caulk (the black butyl stuff) in the hole before I threaded the bolts in. So I don't think it's that.

Big window seal: I am having trouble with this one. How can I test if the rear side window seal is leaking near the back of the car? Is this a common failure point?

Anything else I've forgotten about? It seems to be coming in pretty high up in the D pillar, about halfway up the window at least, but I can't get my hand up into the D pillar to really feel around for wet/dry areas. Could it be coming in farther forward in the car and leaking back to the D pillar?

Registered
It's been a few years since I even saw the interior of an 850 in person but isn't the D-pillars plastic covers easily removeable? And if possible/necessary, drop the roof lining near the suspected corner.

I don't know if it was standard of retrofitted on a friend's car but isn't there an antenna about the same place that newer Volvos have the shark fin antenna for navigation? A small one... No?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No antenna nope. The antenna is built in to the rear window.

I did take all the plastic off, yep. But I traced the leak only as far as I could get - it's up inside of the frame of the car and without taking an angle grinder to the metal, I can't see inside...

I'm currently suspecting the window seal, but I need a dry day to really dry out the inside of the car then test it with a hose and tape over the window seal. Just letting it leak and run out the drain hole in the bottom of the spare tire well for now.

Registered
Sounds like you've covered the usual suspects, Check those roof rails really good its a fairly common leak. You probably need to pull all the panels away in that area, And maybe lower the headliner, Get in the car and have someone spray the hell out of that area with a water hose it might take awhile but you'll see it eventually.

Registered
What I do when I am looking for leaks in a vehicle is I strip down the interior of the vehicle removing the carpets look where is the water pooling in from after you been spraying it down with a sprinkler for 4 hours. It takes a lot of patience. Once I found that the wiring of the speaker was allowing water to funnel in to the vehicle I had to re tape the speaker wires. Its hard to see where water is entering the vehicle when you don't have x-ray vision. Water leaks only pays 8 hours sometimes takes longer for that speaker one took like 12 hours to pinpoint and fix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts