SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Florida we have had monsoon rains the last few weeks. Yesterday, I noticed a strange smell in our 2012 S80. The smell was somewhat like a cat litter box....not good. This morning I decided to remove and clean the floor mats, thinking that perhaps we "stepped in something"? The underside of the drivers carpet floor mat was wet. Pulling out the floor mat, the carpet under it was wet. The sun roof was closed, and I don't see any signs of leaking around it. The windows were closed, again no sign of leaking. Yesterday, we were in a very long line of extremely slow traffic, perhaps a half an hour at less than 5 mph. It was then followed by having to drive through water that was perhaps 6 inches deep......at a crawling pace through the water.

My questions: 1...Can the drain for the air conditioning become clogged, and the water back up and into the passenger compartment? This was on the drivers side only.
2...Is there a way for water to enter the car from underneath the car, and only the drivers side be wet?
3...I am wondering if while we were in the "deep water"....(5 or 6 inches), perhaps a "wake" from another car splashed up the water....but the doors do seem to fit tight on our car, and the
seals seem to be in good condition. (I have always treated the weatherstripping on all our cars, and they don't have any rips or tears, that I can find)
4...I have put down carpet "drier" and vacuumed the inside out with the shop vacuum that I have.....but I want to find where the water has come in from to eliminate this.. This is the first
time I have seen this happen.

Comments and thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The air con evaporator drain hose is in the transmission tunnel, on the passenger side. You have to remove the plastic trim piece from the center console (left leg of passenger area) and pull the carpet back. There you will see the drain hose for that.

Another thing you can do is open your sunroof, and pour some water into the drainage hole at each corner of the sunroof. The front drainage holes run through the A pillar, and will drain just behind the front wheels. The rear drainage hole hose runs along the C pillar, down the back of the passenger door, behind the rear seat bolster, and drains in front of the rear wheels.

If you notice not enough or no water comes out at all, then you may have a loose drain hose. The cars are pretty watertight. the largest opening would be the power steering rack, but that grommet it large and pretty watertight.

Good luck!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ieatglue........

I dried the carpet on the drivers side, and that took care of the "smell". Not raining today, but Florida humid. Drove for about half an hour, and floor is wet again. Looks like a Saturday project! Thanks again for your suggestions.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!......how does the plastic trim piece get removed?......on my Saabs of years ago, all it took was just pulling them out and away from the console area...is this the same?.....just thought I would ask before breaking it!......thanks again.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
It pulls out. I would insert fingers into the bottom area where it meet the carpet and pull. It is held in place by several plastic tabs along the perimeter. Reinstalling is even easier, align it and then gently give it a smack with a side fist where the tabs are.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a /13 S80T6 and also am in process of refreshing a /99 V70 for a friend. V70 is obviously very old and I had to replace the heater core (prior owner didn't do it soon enough thus driver's floor underneath carpets soaked with coolant. I'm not sure where the heater core is on the S80 and would think it is premature for a 2012 to have a heater core leaking (hopefully). When you run the a/c do you see water dripping under car -- if so guessing that the a/c drain not clogged and likely not a/c evap drain hose. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi LJZ....it is my understanding that the a/c evaporator drain hose is on the passenger side of the car, next to the transmission tunnel. (2012 S80) That being said, the only area that was wet has been the carpet on the drivers side of the car. I have cleaned out the sun roof drains on both sides of the car, and the water flows freely through the drains and out to the ground on both sides. The drivers side carpet seems to be drying out, so perhaps the sun roof drains were the problem. I will watch this now, and see if the carpet gets wet again. (the sun roof drains are really easy to clean out, and should/will be part of regular maintenance)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Although the drainage tube is on the passenger side, my S80s driver side was completely wet from a clogged hose. Another symptom I found was the rear windows fogging up when the air con was turned on. This was due to the AC vents sucking in water and blowing them onto the windows.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts