SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living here in LA with 91 octane gas and 100 degree days is not real "R" turbo friendly. No, I don't want the continuing hassle of mixing race gas with pump gas at every fillup.

Are the larger aftermarket intercoolers worth the cost? Whose is best? The boost on friend's Subaru STI isn't nearly as effected by the heat as my R.

Any one try water or water/methanol injection?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Re: Water injection (reinsport)

I have installed both a FMIC and Aquamist into my R.

Here in the tropics, the combination works great http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

I've tried disconnecting the Aquamist system once and and I could feel a drop in performance right away. So I would say that Aquamist does help

As a comparision, my IAT never went above 38 degC (100 degF) while a friend with a stock S60R had his IAT reach 81 degC (178 degF) under the same conditions!!

How much of it was due to Aquamist and how much was due to FMIC, I cannot say. But if I had to choose one, I would choose FMIC

But for ease of installation, Aquamist would be easier.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Re: Water injection (mike_c70)

Quote, originally posted by mike_c70 »
DisCom - Which system are you using? Also, did you hook up the jet pre or post IAT sensor?

I am using dual 1s system. And both nozzles are before the IAT/Boost sensor.

One is set to fire at 0.9 bar and the other at 1.3 bar.

I am monitoring if the water injection will damage the IAT/Boost sensor.

My IAT/Boost sensor died once before I installed the Aquamist/FMIC combo resulting in a blown turbo. So I am very weary of the boost sensor dying on me again.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Re: Water injection (DisCom)

Do you have pictures of where exactly you put the nozzles? Do you moved the IAT sensor?

I am also in a tropical country. Also thinking about use the Aquamist.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

Only go up in the intercooler size if you're going to run more boost a FMIC looks cool but on a stock engine with no ECU or upgrade is going to create lag due to its size and the tubing. U will not be happy especially if you are one who battles stop light to stop light.

·
Registered
197 Posts

Quote, originally posted by DisCom »
I have installed both a FMIC and Aquamist into my R.

Here in the tropics, the combination works great http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

I've tried disconnecting the Aquamist system once and and I could feel a drop in performance right away. So I would say that Aquamist does help

As a comparision, my IAT never went above 38 degC (100 degF) while a friend with a stock S60R had his IAT reach 81 degC (178 degF) under the same conditions!!

How much of it was due to Aquamist and how much was due to FMIC, I cannot say. But if I had to choose one, I would choose FMIC

But for ease of installation, Aquamist would be easier.

Do you have any other modes?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

Oh yeah where are you going to mount your front license plate Californina law 5200 cvc. once you mount that intercooler. I would just get a IPD reflash and run 91 works great for me. you already voided your warranty with that setup

Modified by cloaked at 8:45 PM 9-25-2005

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
cloaked - 91 works fine, but 93+ works WAY better. Have you tried high octane???

My wife took the R out for a drive and "did me a favor" by filling up with 91....aarrghhh...my car is a SLUG....after running 93+ for the past few months, I can really tell a difference

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
No I haven't but I have run 100 oct in my Mustang and a 94.5 mix in my Sti when driving at a track event. I have no need to run it in my "R" with the reflash it's fast enough on public roads. I believe the higher octane will make more power but again not worth the price for Los angeles roadways. I really don't think it's worth putting it( 93+) in my car, the setup I have makes plenty of power, It's all about tuning. Someone here once posted that he is getting near 30 more ponys using highter octane. Sorry not if his car is stock. But I would go to a higher blend" 94.5" if I were driving on a track.

Modified by cloaked at 8:59 PM 9-25-2005

·
Registered
148 Posts
Re: Water injection (liu0588)

Quote, originally posted by liu0588 »
Do you have pictures of where exactly you put the nozzles? Do you moved the IAT sensor?

I am also in a tropical country. Also thinking about use the Aquamist.

Thanks

I fabricated new SS pipes from the intercooler to throttle body. So I was able to relocate the boost sensor/IAT sensor to just before the throttle body. The WI nozzles are placed at the apex of the 180 degree curve as airflow is most turbilent there.

Sorry....no pictures of the nozzles placements.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Re: Water injection (cloaked)

Quote, originally posted by cloaked »
Only go up in the intercooler size if you're going to run more boost a FMIC looks cool but on a stock engine with no ECU or upgrade is going to create lag due to its size and the tubing. U will not be happy especially if you are one who battles stop light to stop light.

Yep...I did upgrade my turbo. Hoping to get 500 crank HP soon....maybe more

·
Registered
148 Posts
Re: Water injection (boriman)

Quote, originally posted by boriman »
Do you have any other modes?

Do you mean mods? If you do, then I have lots of mods

Upgraded the turbo to a Garrett GT3076R, fuel injectors are 750cc/min, turbo to intercooler piping is 2.5" SS with a HKS Racing Type II BOV with recirc to customised 3" SS air intake between MAF and compressor intake. Intercooler to Throttle body is customised 3" SS tubing with 2 Aquamist water injection. Intercooler is a 4" core.

Complete engine rebuild. Conrods changed to Carillos and pistons are JEs. Head and exhaust manifold are ported and polish and then gas flowed.

And to tie all this together, MTE customised tuning
Hoping to run 1.7 bar of constant boost with a peak of 1.8 bar.

Am also upgrading the clutch since I have the engine out. Am worried about the driveshaft though.

The car will be ready by Oct 10th. Will post updates and videos if there is any interest.

May rebuild another R engine and have steel liners for the cyclinder walls. May also add a copper head gasket to lower the compression.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Re: (cloaked)

Quote, originally posted by cloaked »
Someone here once posted that he is getting near 30 more ponys using highter octane. Sorry not if his car is stock.
You're not looking at the problem correctly. The issue isn't getting "more" hp, the issue is not gettting less. The car makes it's 295 stock hp only with gas higher than 91 octane -- regardless of what the owner's manual says is accepatble fuel. How much higher octane is something with more time, money, curiosity, and access to a dyno can figure out.

The butt dyno says 94-95 octane seems to be a the point of diminishing returns. Still not sure if that takes you to the rated 295 hp, but it sure does mitigate losses due to summer heat.

Also, the most noticeable difference isn't the peak hp but the much fatter midrange. If you think the midband torque is good on 91 octane you'll will be quite impressed by how much torque a stock R is capable of when burning the octane for which the engine was clearly designed. It is a significantly more entertaining and enjoyable car with 93+ compared to 91.

The best reason to not try the higher octane is the price, because once you use it you won't want to go back. And for that I can't blame you for not trying it.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

Quote, originally posted by DisCom »
Upgraded the turbo to a Garrett GT3076R, fuel injectors are 750cc/min, turbo to intercooler piping is 2.5" SS with a HKS Racing Type II BOV with recirc to customised 3" SS air intake between MAF and compressor intake. Intercooler to Throttle body is customised 3" SS tubing with 2 Aquamist water injection. Intercooler is a 4" core.

Complete engine rebuild. Conrods changed to Carillos and pistons are JEs. Head and exhaust manifold are ported and polish and then gas flowed.

And to tie all this together, MTE customised tuning
Hoping to run 1.7 bar of constant boost with a peak of 1.8 bar.

Am also upgrading the clutch since I have the engine out. Am worried about the driveshaft though.
Holy crap, those are some serious mods. Certainly the most engine-internal mods I've read of on this forum. Nice work.

Quote »
The car will be ready by Oct 10th. Will post updates and videos if there is any interest.
By all means, post updates, videos, dyno runs, the works. Sounds very interesting.

May rebuild another R engine and have steel liners for the cyclinder walls. May also add a copper head gasket to lower the compression.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
195 Posts

mate this is some serious tuning, keep it up mate!!! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

and please hit us with some more pic's and videos, you should try and build a webpage around this project

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.