SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was working on my Aquamist system and the question come up: where is the best place to install the inline water filter?

Some install it close to the fluid tank (like the fuel filter is also installed close to its tank). Some install it where it is most convenient to service it (it can be cleaned up by back flow/compressed air as it is stainless steel inside). Some just skip it.

My water line is following the factory line layout: going up on the tank wall then under right headlight, up and over the upper radiator opening (the one with the Volvo iron sign), down and under the left headlight to the pump. The pump is under the black cover next to the air box.

I can install it:
1. close to the pump as it is the easiest servicing location - just open the hood.
2. close to the tank accessible from below - the issue here is that it is exposed to the air that comes from the open fog grill. In winter that means the wind chill factor at highway speed will bring the water temps to low.
3. close to the tank but under the bumper cover - requires bumper removal for servicing. But on the other hand how often do you guys service this filter assuming use of distilled water?

Any other good options?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
One of the main reasons for the filter isn't so much the pump as it is the nozzle. The nozzle has a fine orifice which can easily be plugged while the pump has a rubber diaphram and rubber flap valves that can handle small debris rather well.

All that being said, putting it where its most convenient to get to is the best bet. Then again, unless you pour a bunch of crud in your tank its not likely to ever clog during the lifetime of your vehicle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts