SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

In heavy rain, water tends to drip in through the passenger and driver footwells. I am wondering if this is the famous "sunroof drains" on this car. I am unsure as both the headliner and a-pillars are dry. It is only a dripping of water at the moment, but living in Florida, it rains often and the water is getting annoying.

Thanks,
Phillip

·
Registered
633 Posts
It is likely that it is the sunroof drains. This is IMO a serious problem because the water can do damage to the vehicle's electronics. There is thick foam under the carpet, so the car can take on quite a bit of water before the carpet gets soaked.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah, had this problem too and it actually ended up destroying my AUU unit (in charge of Ipod/USB connectivity) located in the passenger footwell. Water got in and destroyed it and radio stopped working. If you look at a wiring diagram of the car, there are alot of important ground points in the footwell of both sides and water can do serious damage. I have this happening to me as well, but now on the driver side footwell. It should be a problem with the sunroof drains, so removing A pillars and checking the hoses/cleaning is a good idea. Also, good test is to pour some water in the drain sunroof holes and make sure it exists towards the bottom of the car and not into the car. I'll check the driver side A pillar when I have time...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66
514 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, thank you so much! I will clean those out asap. I saw on a previous post that I should be able to clean them out be removing one side of the tube from the elbow and using compressed air to clean them out. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Phillip

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
633 Posts
I would read this to get a lay of the land: https://blog.fcpeuro.com/p1-volvo-sunroof-drain-fix ... as far as blowing them out with compressed air, I think that would be OK as long as you don't blow the connections apart.

Pulling the A-pillar covers is not too hard to do. I don't know if you really need to drop the headliner if you aren't doing the full tube replacement.

·
Registered
2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66
514 Posts
Mine didn't clog my hose shrank and pulled itself out of the drain hole at the fire wall.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Just pull the A pillar trim and look. It's quick & easy, then you will know which route to take. If the tubes have retracted (common issue acrosss P1 platform) the easiest solution, IMO, is to make an extension that fits into the tube, and into the base elbow. Only needs to be about 3-4" long to do the job. I used 10/12mm nitrile (fuel line) tube.

back in - note; you cannot actually see it from this angle, this is with windshield removed (separate issue), just for clarification as to where you are shoving the tube

1 - 8 of 8 Posts