SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my ‘17 T8 XC90 has twice in 22K miles shown a ‘Low coolant’ warning’ sign on the dash. Both times I’ve pulled into the dealership, been told that many types of Volvo’s do the same thing, and that the coolant level probably wasn’t topped up at my last 10K mile service which was 2K miles ago. In essence; don’t worry about it.

The car drives great as always; no fluids ever seen puddling under it, and still tons of power when needed.

Anyone having the same thing happen?

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
When you pulled in the first time, did they refill it? After several thousand miles the light is on again?

This is surely concerning on a new car, especially on a T8 that probably only half of your miles is on ICE. Only on my 20 year old car I'm fine adding coolant every three month.

·
Registered
389 Posts
There was a technical service bulletin on the bleeder hose that attaches to the coolant expansion tank which is located in the engine compartment near the glove box. Open the hood and stand at the passenger side. Pull up the weatherstripping at this location to allow access to a plastic hatch that covers the coolant expansion tank. Look for evidence that coolant has leaked from where the bleeder hose connects to the expansion tank (see below - you may see splatter marks around the area if it has been leaking). If it has been leaking, you need to get another bleeder hose installed. It may be that the hose just needs to be pushed harder onto the expansion tank, but if it’s been leaking I would try to get a new one installed.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?576275-Coolant-temp-gauge

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check the small plastic bleeder hose that runs under the vacuum pump up towards the panel for the brake fluid reservoir (look between the air intake tube and the vacuum pump). And I’ve replaced multiple lower radiator hoses on T6s that leak at the plastic-molded junction on top of the transmission like the P1 cars had in the past, can’t remember if T8s used the same hose. Look straight down between the air box and the intake manifold.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check the small plastic bleeder hose that runs under the vacuum pump up towards the panel for the brake fluid reservoir (look between the air intake tube and the vacuum pump). And I’ve replaced multiple lower radiator hoses on T6s that leak at the plastic-molded junction on top of the transmission like the P1 cars had in the past, can’t remember if T8s used the same hose. Look straight down between the air box and the intake manifold.
So I have found what looks to me like a likely source of a slow leak. Unfortunately the forum won't allow me to attach an image. No idea why. Guess I'll have to swing by the dealership. I do have pix if anyone can host them for me though.

Bish

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
So I have found what looks to me like a likely source of a slow leak. Unfortunately the forum won't allow me to attach an image. No idea why. Guess I'll have to swing by the dealership. I do have pix if anyone can host them for me though.

Bish
A free picture hosting site would do. Or use tapatalk phone app to attach a photo.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just an update on this if you are losing coolant from the expansion tank and there are no leaks visible in that area, my T8 failed a pressure test and is leaking coolant at the area I mentioned above. Having to have the defective radiator hose replaced, property the one shown in this thread:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?604845-Antifreeze-Leak-near-engine-block

I’m also getting a second set of front rotors/pads installed under warranty.

Bish

1 - 7 of 7 Posts