SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a follow up to an offshoot topic in another post. I am attaching directions and a response to a question on running higher boost levels I had gotten from guys at IPD. The car has had the mod done for several months and all is well. <P>First the instructions:<P>Hi Bill,<BR>> <BR>> Feel free to post the modification, but please preface it with an<BR>> "At Your Own Risk", as we don't have information as to what the long term<BR>> effects may be.<P>BASE WASTEGATE ADJUSTMENT 850 / 70 SERIES <BR>It's not possible to change the maximum boost level w/o check engine<BR>lights, but you can adjust the base wastegate setting to improve bottom end<BR>throttle response and torque. The base setting is about 1.5 psi, you can<BR>safely raise this to 6-8 psi. This will give almost instant boost production<BR>in response to throttle input. If you over do it, you will have a hard time<BR>preventing the tires from spinning on take off so you might have to<BR>experiment a bit. You'll need a boost gauge or other accurate low pressure<BR>gauge that you can temporarily use to adjust the wastegate. We use a<BR>radiator pressure tester / pump that has a built in gauge. You can get these<BR>for around $50 or borrow one. Remove the heat shield above the turbo,<BR>disconnect the wastegate actuator line at the turbo controller valve (TCV)<BR>and attach the pump and gauge to this line. Make sure your connections are<BR>tight, you don't want any leaks to cause erroneous adjustments. Disconnect<BR>the waste gate actuator rod form the waste gate lever (C-clip or spring<BR>clip). Loosen the 10mm lock nut and shorten the rod so that it exactly<BR>lines up and drops over the closed waste gate lever when 6 psi is applied to<BR>the actuator. Test and adjust to suit your personal tastes. Do not exceed 8<BR>psi, it won't hurt anything, but performance will be reduced and you will<BR>get a check engine lamp as the ECU is sensing that the wastegate is<BR>operating beyond the control range of the TCV.<P>Now a reply:<P>While on that subject.... any idea of long term issues with me running<BR>the IPD ECU and hitting 17-18PSI on occasion?<P>Hi Bill, <P>Since we only keep project cars for a year or two, I think the most we've<BR>ever put on one is 42,000. These cars usually get driven by the press and do<BR>a lot of testing. They aren't abused, but they are driven hard. We've never<BR>had any problems. I have seen customers on some of the chat sites with over<BR>100K on their cars reporting that they have seen no side effects. We also<BR>usually keep in touch with people that purchase our cars and I know that two<BR>of them have over 100K on them and are still running strong. It's my opinion<BR>that they should lead a pretty normal life if they are maintained normally<BR>and don't spend too much time at or near redline. We have been involved in<BR>some testing and race development where motors of this family were allowed<BR>to run as much boost as the knock sensors would allow and no rev limiter.<BR>Failures usually occurred at high revs in the form of bent connecting rods<BR>above 6500 RPM. I haven't seen or heard of any problems related to excessive<BR>boost detonation, such as burnt pistons.<P><P>

1 - 1 of 1 Posts