SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday, I decided to finally load my MTE tune which has been sitting on the shelf for over a year. I didn't want to have any weird overboosting issues so I decided to check my wastegate setting before loading the tune.

To check the wastegate setting, I disconnected the TCV and took it out for a drive to see what my max boost was. Using the IPD data logging software, I saw that I was at ~7.5 psi, which is strange because I have never touched my wastegate.

Knowing that stock is ~4.5 psi, I decided to lower the setting. It took 7 turns to get down to 5 psi. Obviously, this is a huge adjustment of the wastegate, but I decided to the load the tune and see what happened, believing that the wastegate was in fact set to 5 psi.

After the adjustment, the car generated no boost at lower RPM's. Here is a graph of Boost (PSI) vs Engine Speed (RPM) in 2nd gear with the MTE tune.

I decided to rule the tune out and flash back to stock. Here is a graph of Boost (PSI) vs Engine Speed (RPM) in 2nd gear with the stock tune.

After seeing a max of ~12 PSI of boost, I began to worry, thinking that my car was now broken. I realized the next day that I was showing the signs of a wastegate that was set too low, generating boost so late. Today, I turned the wastegate back 6 turns and the car feels normal again. Unfortunately, I do not have any data logs of this handy and won't have the ability to do so until next week, but I do plan on updating with that information.

I have essentially found reading the wastegate setting by unplugging the TCV to be ineffective.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
41 Posts
To check the wastegate setting, I disconnected the TCV and took it out for a drive to see what my max boost was. Using the IPD data logging software, I saw that I was at ~7.5 psi
Your signature indicates you have a Prosport boost gauge. Did the boost gauge reading match up with the IPD data logging graphs? In other words, did both measurement devices indicate 7.5psi before wastegate adjustment, and 5psi after wastegate adjustment?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I would not trust your gauge. IPDs wastegate tool would be the best to check it with, next to that just drive it and see. The ECU will cut boost if the wastegate is too tight. If it cuts out while driving dial it back a turn and see if that helps. It's such an easy adjustment.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would not trust your gauge. IPDs wastegate tool would be the best to check it with, next to that just drive it and see. The ECU will cut boost if the wastegate is too tight. If it cuts out while driving dial it back a turn and see if that helps. It's such an easy adjustment.
Checked boost with the IPD data logging software. Although my wastegate was supposedly set to 5psi, I had all the symptoms of a wastegate that was too low. I turned it back and it's fine. Just checked with a pump and the wastegate indeed begins to move at 7psi. This brings me to my next question: why in the hell did my car come from the factory with a wastegate set to 7psi and why does it run like crap when I put it lower? Also, why would 7 turns only lower it 2 psi? Is there something wrong with my wastegate?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
original wastegate setting was probably correct, I doubt it came set wrong from the factory, IPD pump is suspect. Never @#$% with the wastegate on these cars.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
original wastegate setting was probably correct, I doubt it came set wrong from the factory, IPD pump is suspect. Never @#$% with the wastegate on these cars.
But Madden, I have a boost gauge, data logger, and pump telling me it's set to 7. (if unplugging the TCV does in fact limit max boost to your wastegate). I thought stock was supposed to be around 4-5? It just doesn't make sense to me which is what is bothering me. The car runs fine now, I just want to try and figure out what is going on.

·
Registered
876 Posts
My wastegate is set to 7psi from the factory (original owner here). I checked it with mityvac pump back when wastegate adjustment was a craze around here. It is set to 7psi and car is happy, so I left it alone.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My wastegate is set to 7psi from the factory (original owner here). I checked it with mityvac pump back when wastegate adjustment was a craze around here. It is set to 7psi and car is happy, so I left it alone.
I just feel like there's some misinformation then. Are we supposed to be at 7?? :confused:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Kind of makes you wonder... I checked mine as part of trying to figure out a driveability issue today... mine is 60k and I assume completely stock, and it is also at 7psi (using my mityvac hand pump as well) So I am with you... I didn't realize that the wastegate was set so low on these (I am used to a 12 to 14 psi 240 and 740 series... and overboosting to 20+)... I honestly assumed that mine was set low for some reason, but was happy with it as it set, so I left it be. Now I find it's high, but apparently fairly common???

·
Registered
719 Posts
My car was 6psi and the wastegate was untouched. I tried to adjust mine back down to use a ARD tune at Carlisle, and couldn't get the thimble to move. I took it home and it took about 8 turns to get it from 6psi down to 5psi. I immediately contacted Viva to see when their replacement actuators are coming out. (It's mid-June by the way.)

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My car was 6psi and the wastegate was untouched. I tried to adjust mine back down to use a ARD tune at Carlisle, and couldn't get the thimble to move. I took it home and it took about 8 turns to get it from 6psi down to 5psi. I immediately contacted Viva to see when their replacement actuators are coming out. (It's mid-June by the way.)
Yup, I was there with ya. What happened when you turned it that much? Does it take forever to build boost now?

And I think Lucky wanted you down to 4.5 to troubleshoot your over boosting, right?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Boost was built quite slowly, but the engine self-destructed soon after, so I can't tell you how it acted once the TCV was hooked back up.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Boost was built quite slowly, but the engine self-destructed soon after, so I can't tell you how it acted once the TCV was hooked back up.
What happened???

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Could it be your TCV is defective? Sounds much more likely than all 3 measurements with it unplugged being wrong.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Could it be your TCV is defective? Sounds much more likely than all 3 measurements with it unplugged being wrong.
Based on what has been reported here, it seems that the unplugging-the-TCV technique accurately measures the wastegate setting.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's a bad TCV. It sounds like the issue is that there is uncertainty as to what the factory wastegate setting is on the R. The IPD video claims it is 4.5psi, but that contradicts the settings reported in this post. If it's supposed to be set at 7psi, and it's adjusted down to 4.5psi then that might explain the poor performance seen in the above graphs.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
My 06 was set to 4.5psi from the factory which is what I thought it should have been. From what I read in the IPD section via Lucky, setting the wastegate to anything over 7.5 psi with a tune could cause boost spikes/overboosting. A good setpoint for tuned cars was stock or little high than stock @ 4.5-5.5psi IIRC.

Also to answer your other question prienzo, yes unplugging the tcv and then going for a drive will limit boost to whatever the wastegate is since the TCV solenoid will not function and bleed off pressure. My IPD gauge did not work very well (off 2-3psi) either and I hated it. Autometer FTW!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts