SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seen on the form that you can adjust your wastegate on a stock set up 2 compete turns ? My question is it safe? What would I notice if I do it ? Is it worth it ?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
If I remember what I read correctly, the older S40's (before 05) you can adjust them two full turns. With the new 05+ S40s, you should adjust them no more than one full turn. Apparently it has something to do with allowing boost to build too fast and spinning tires from each stoplight you hit. The TCV takes care of actuating when the wastegate, and what it normally likes to do is close partially when getting going, and then when you're going it will close all the way and allow full boost build and then when you let off the gas it'll open all the way or part of the way and let the boost drop down. When you adjust the wastegate a full turn, you are tightening that spring in the wastegate, allowing the turbo to build up more pressure than the stock setup when you step on the gas.

Is it safe? Loaded question there. It's put where it is for it's driveability and efficiency. If you change that, it's on you to assume the risk. As long as you don't mess with the maximum boost the system is designed to handle, then the engine itself won't have a problem with just getting that much boost sooner. You might want to make sure you don't overdo it though, or you'll be burning rubber leaving every stop light because the engine will be getting so much MORE power off the line rather than getting going and then building up to it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I remember what I read correctly, the older S40's (before 05) you can adjust them two full turns. With the new 05+ S40s, you should adjust them no more than one full turn. Apparently it has something to do with allowing boost to build too fast and spinning tires from each stoplight you hit. The TCV takes care of actuating when the wastegate, and what it normally likes to do is close partially when getting going, and then when you're going it will close all the way and allow full boost build and then when you let off the gas it'll open all the way or part of the way and let the boost drop down. When you adjust the wastegate a full turn, you are tightening that spring in the wastegate, allowing the turbo to build up more pressure than the stock setup when you step on the gas.

Is it safe? Loaded question there. It's put where it is for it's driveability and efficiency. If you change that, it's on you to assume the risk. As long as you don't mess with the maximum boost the system is designed to handle, then the engine itself won't have a problem with just getting that much boost sooner. You might want to make sure you don't overdo it though, or you'll be burning rubber leaving every stop light because the engine will be getting so much MORE power off the line rather than getting going and then building up to it.
So overall I be noticing more power or what

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I seen on the form that you can adjust your wastegate on a stock set up 2 compete turns ? My question is it safe? What would I notice if I do it ? Is it worth it ?

The wastegate is actuated via the target torque and boost profiles in the ECU. Any adjustment that would benifit you is if amd only if it is not closing all the way. Other than that adjusting it for more xlosed force will not help you. The ECU will just open it sooner.

At best you may buy some extra horses for a few miles until the ECU relearns the boost control. At worst you will go into limp mode from a boost spikem. Dont mess with it unless something is wrong.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
So overall I be noticing more power or what

No, what you'll notice is the same power your engine had all along, except for the fact that it will come on at an earlier point (hence the spinning of tires taking off from a stoplight).

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, what you'll notice is the same power your engine had all along, except for the fact that it will come on at an earlier point (hence the spinning of tires taking off from a stoplight).
But quad says that the ecu will just learn the wastegate again and it be like if u didt change anything

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
This mod worked on older models that did not have a target torque and boost curve. I have not seen any evidence (datalogs) that show me it works on our cars. You can trust someones butt dyno if you want. It may make more boost for the first block or two but the ECU will learn your new responce curve. If it aint broke dont fix it. If you want more boost load a tune or install engine management.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This mod worked on older models that did not have a target torque and boost curve. I have not seen any evidence (datalogs) that show me it works on our cars. You can trust someones butt dyno if you want. It may make more boost for the first block or two but the ECU will learn your new responce curve. If it aint broke dont fix it. If you want more boost load a tune or install engine management.
Ah so basically not going work on the t5 engine but a 2.5t it can

1 - 8 of 8 Posts