SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car is an 02 s60t5m

Ok , so I made low pressure gauge from a bike pump and compound fuel gauge that reads lbs.

The wastegate after I put the gauge on it read 2.5 lbs (low , probably never touched). I was getting 8-9 boost with it like that. With a stage 1 Hilton tune.

So I pumped it up to 6lbs of pressure , tightened the arm accordingly to drop right over the pin.

Now it's boosting to 14-15.

I have a few threads left to make it tighter. (It's an old probably original wastegate , probably weak and worn spring)

My question is , what's a safe place to set the wastegate at ? I was thinking of giving it a try at 7.5 lbs and hoping for 17 boost.

My car is a solid stage zero.

I'm just not sure what's a comfortable boost range for the 16t with a tune.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
You should refer to Hilton. When i swapped in the T5 motor StevO tuned me to boost at 15. He said if it boost to 17 to not drive it and call him back. Im currently boosting to 15-16. Guessing 17 or higher might be bad. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should refer to Hilton. When i swapped in the T5 motor StevO tuned me to boost at 15. He said if it boost to 17 to not drive it and call him back. Im currently boosting to 15-16. Guessing 17 or higher might be bad. Just my 2 cents
Thanks , your right I probably should contact Hilton to what would be the recommended pressure for the wastegate.

I've been meaning to log the car and send it to him for review , but the few times I've tried I lost internet and crashed the program.

Pretty much a pain in the ass to log the car when the program needs to be on the internet driving around in my area.

·
Registered
17,728 Posts
The stock and only correct wastegate setting is 4.5 psi on t5

·
Registered
17,728 Posts
Yea you’re out of fuel above 15 psi and it’ll lean out bad

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The stock and only correct wastegate setting is 4.5 psi on t5

So tuned or not 4.5 is what it should be set at ?

Mine is set to 6 currently. Car seems to run very strong and smooth. Boost hits 10 in 2nd , 15 in 3,4 and 5.

Prior to the adjustment the wastegate was at 2.5. it boosted to 6 in 2nd and 8/10 in 3,4 and 5.

What would be the difference , if any of I turned it back down to 4.5?

Just trying to get to the middle ground of performance/safe/reliability.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Being tuned has nothing to do with waste gate adjustment. As Scottish Brick said, it should be 4.5 to 5 psi. Watch Ard Tuning vids on it and be safe.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Being tuned has nothing to do with waste gate adjustment. As Scottish Brick said, it should be 4.5 to 5 psi. Watch Ard Tuning vids on it and be safe.
Thanks for the reply , ive already went ahead and set it to 4.5 this past weekend. I haven't had alot of time to drive the car , but it felt the same.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
I found you don't have to be online the whole time to log, you just have to get his tuning software running while online, then you can shut internet off and log away. Unless he changed things in the last year. Basically do a quick test log while on wifi and then turn wifi off on your laptop and see if it still logs. Mine does.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found you don't have to be online the whole time to log, you just have to get his tuning software running while online, then you can shut internet off and log away. Unless he changed things in the last year. Basically do a quick test log while on wifi and then turn wifi off on your laptop and see if it still logs. Mine does.
Oh really ? I'm going to give this a try over the weekend.

Thanks alot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts