SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just adjusted my waste-gate 1 full turn. i took it out for a spin and it was obviously noticeable but also i noticed that i am now over boosting to about 18psi. i have no codes and the car is at a full stage 0. obviously im looking to undo at least 1/2 a turn because i dont feel its safe to mash the gas when it overboosts to 18psi. i currently have a short ram, HD TCV, and full exhaust w/ 3" downpipe. (you can see it in my sig) but im just wondering if this is normal after adjusting your wastegate 1 turn. Im letting the car cool off as we speak then i will turn it back 1/2 a turn but if someone could help me out that would be wonderful.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: wastegate adjustment / overboost (KurT5)

Not really.<br>It's obviously chipped correct?<br>In my 850R I would spike to 19 and run at around 17 lbs, it was one of the nicest driving Gen 1 cars there ever was so you are not over boosting and it's quite safe

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: wastegate adjustment / overboost (JRL)

im not tuned haha thats why im curious. I have a 3" downpipe and a straight pipe (no cat) and a catback exhaust. i have the IPD HD TCV as well and the short ram. i understand that our computers can "learn" and adjust but it still wouldnt allow me to go far from the noted specs (i have heard that cars can increase boost level because they adapt to the driver and im sorta "gas pedal friendly" do i didnt know. I typically spiked 15lbs and then it would be steady at like 13-13.5. after turning the wastegate actuator 1 full turn i was spiking to aboot 18-19lbs then it would come back to 13.5 ish. I was afraid to do any damage to my car so i let off the gas and then undid aboot 1/2 a turn and now i spike 15-16lbs and it settles at like 13.5 ish. to the best of my knowledge i am not tuned but i might call the original owner to double check. Is it common for a system to relearn how the driver drives and slowly learn to up the boost? also i did notice a small boost increase when i took the slack out of the throttle cable. I dont know if the amount of boost is coverened by throttle position but i adjusted the stop screw to a hair above 850rpm and removed any slack in the line and lubed it up. Is that possible? also and my final lovely remark seeing as im sitting at 1/2 a turn of the wastegate actuator... is this normal (not chipped) and is this safe (not chipped) ?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: wastegate adjustment / overboost (KurT5)

OK<br>Your rediculously too large a DP is allowing the engine to spool up so fast it's spiking and then coming back down quickly.<br>Probably not running as smoothly as you would like anyway so turn it back down 1/2 or the full turn until you buy a tune.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

i turned it down about 1/2 a turn and the spiking is obviously better. I still might undo even the 1/2 turn because im curious is if it will hurt anything else... will it?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

is it possible for a stock ECU to learn slowly about the car and gradually up the boost? im curious because i seem to hold steady at around 13-14 psi of boost. I havent called the PO to ask them if they had ever tuned it (i doubt it seeing as they traded it in for a S4). But obviously i would know if i tuned the car and also my mom who had it a few years before also never did anything to it. Is it possible in any way shape or form or is it because i have a large DP and stuff?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts