SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gone through the process of licensing and registering your car in Washington state, after paying cash for the car...so with no assistance from the dealer? If you've gone through this, would you mind filling me in on what's actually required? We're trying to decide whether it's worth paying a bit through Volvo financial so the dealer will deal with everything around licensing and registration or if the process is simple enough that we can do it on our own without losing too much sleep or hair (from pulling it out). Thank you!!

·
Registered
473 Posts
i don't think they are mutually exclusive. You can have the dealer do the registration indepently of financing or cash buyer. At least that is the way I am doing it. I paid cash. Car should be here within a week. I think the dealer will/has charged a doc fee. But i am expecting them to do the registration

maybe ask @seabeck ???

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Has anyone gone through the process of licensing and registering your car in Washington state, after paying cash for the car...so with no assistance from the dealer? If you've gone through this, would you mind filling me in on what's actually required? We're trying to decide whether it's worth paying a bit through Volvo financial so the dealer will deal with everything around licensing and registration or if the process is simple enough that we can do it on our own without losing too much sleep or hair (from pulling it out). Thank you!!
States have different processes but Volvo gives you all the paperwork you will need to register the car. I showed up to register my car and the only problem I ran into was Volvo completed paperwork as Mr "and" Mrs instead of Mr "or" Mrs. So had to go home and get the Mrs. Got to a different clerk and she had no issue. She completed the state registration to read "or". The only hard part about the whole process was writing out the check for the sales tax!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I did. It's easy. Please see my comments in this thread ... https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...es-Tax-Title-Registration-and-RTA-Experiences

·
Registered
650 Posts
i don't think they are mutually exclusive. You can have the dealer do the registration indepently of financing or cash buyer. At least that is the way I am doing it. I paid cash. Car should be here within a week. I think the dealer will/has charged a doc fee. But i am expecting them to do the registration

maybe ask @seabeck ???
I didn’t pay cash for my car that was delivered to Seattle Volvo through OSD, it was financed through Volvo. When the car showed up, they called me and asked for a couple of documents that were supplied to me by the FDC. Seattle Volvo handled the registration and licensing, and did NOT charge us any additional fees.

However, over the years I’ve paid cash for a number of other cars. Dealing with Washington DMV through one of their contracted licensing agents was always simple. One might stand in line for a few minutes, but they are fairly efficient at collecting your money. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all of you for the responses. It sounds like it's really just taking the paperwork to the DMV, waiting in line to write a huge check, and then waiting for the plates to arrive. I had heard something about needing to go to the port to do some sort of emissions check or some such thing, which sounded particularly time consuming and annoying. Glad to know that's not actually a part of it. We should be good to do this on our own.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
585 Posts
fyi, if you just want something out of the DMV/license agency inventory, you don't even have to wait for the plates - they give them to you on the spot after your write your big check.

·
Registered
650 Posts
fyi, if you just want something out of the DMV/license agency inventory, you don't even have to wait for the plates - they give them to you on the spot after your write your big check.
And if you want a customized plate, you fill out a form with your top three choices, and they'll issue a temporary paper plate number to display in your back window. Customized plates shipped to you direct by mail, it takes a few weeks.

There’s a special fee for custom plates when issued, and during the annual renewal. When I owned a Ducati, my plate was DUCBIL. Think I paid $20/year extra...

Cheers!
Bill

·
Registered
119 Posts
Car should be here within a week. I think the dealer will/has charged a doc fee. But i am expecting them to do the registration
I thought Jim Fisher doesn't charge a doc fee for OSD.

When did yours leave Sweden? Did you hear from Customs already? Ours is in the Port Hueneme dark hole since last Friday.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I thought Jim Fisher doesn't charge a doc fee for OSD.

When did yours leave Sweden? Did you hear from Customs already? Ours is in the Port Hueneme dark hole since last Friday.
it arrived this week. Picking up on Friday the 16th. Exactly 2 weeks since it got through customs. So yours should be in town next week? I have no idea if Jim Fisher charges a doc fee. I just kinda always assumed everybody did

I'll look for your XC40 in the garage. Or you can come down & watch mine!

·
Registered
119 Posts
it arrived this week. Picking up on Friday the 16th. Exactly 2 weeks since it got through customs. So yours should be in town next week? I have no idea if Jim Fisher charges a doc fee. I just kinda always assumed everybody did

I'll look for your XC40 in the garage. Or you can come down & watch mine!
Ha, I might do that!

Early on in the process, our salesman took us up in the garage to show us an OSD Momentum that had arrived but was not prepped because they never had any in stock.

Getting so excited all over again. Next week would be awesome!

Have fun tomorrow!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Ha, I might do that!

Early on in the process, our salesman took us up in the garage to show us an OSD Momentum that had arrived but was not prepped because they never had any in stock.

Getting so excited all over again. Next week would be awesome!

Have fun tomorrow!

can confirm that is Jim Fischer garage. LOL When we ordered in Feb I think the salesman said they weren't even taking orders for XC40 because their allotment was done for the year. Maybe it was a ploy to push customers to OSD.

Took my V60 to Carmax yesterday and the kid was asking about Volvo OSD. He said "Is that a real thing?" I said you betcha. It was awesome. Kind of a secret club. Look for the S sticker on the back window

1 - 13 of 13 Posts