SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I entered the parkway coming into work late this morning (late start - worked from home early in the morning) I saw a young guy and his wife (wearing a ridiculous looking straw hat) driving an XKR convertible cutting through traffic. "Oy."

Minding my own business, I eventually caught up to them when we encountered some heavier traffic. It was fun watching him repeatedly dart into the right lane to pass cars in front of him when it was clear that we were bumper to bumper in the left lane. Awesome. So, instead of actually progressing through openings in traffic, he actually kept falling further back. The expression on his face let everyone know that he didn't like the idea of people passing him. Oh well. I just looked over and smiled as he dutifully pulled in right behind me after I slowly chugged past following the rest of traffic in the left lane. After passing through Stamford, the flood gates of "open road" well...they opened...and so did my throttle. Surprise!

Even with 90 more horses, its amazing what 300 more lbs of car, higher peaks for torque and hp coupled with an automatic, plus an extra 150 or so lbs of passenger will do to equalize the situation with a lowly Volvo sedan.
I wouldn't have raced this guy for all the money in the world (especially after seeing how he drove) but it was fun watching him in my rearview over and over every time I caught up to traffic and slowed down...and then took advantage of some open road when available (only up to 55, of course).

I know the XKR is good for under 5.5sec sprints to 60 so, driven hard and without a passenger he'd probably have no problem in a true head to head (especially if he'd had the top up), but, the expression on his face from Stamford to Tarrytown said none of that mattered to him this morning. lol

-Eric

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts
Re: Was that an XKR? (Sue Esponte)

In my opinion the Jaguar XKR and especially if it is the new one is poop from the underside of an elephants foot when he steps into a pile
of dung made from a herd of wildebeests

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Re: Was that an XKR? (Helmut Ranff)

Quote, originally posted by Helmut Ranff »
In my opinion the Jaguar XKR and especially if it is the new one is poop from the underside of. an elephants foot when he steps into a pile

thge new ones are nice. The old ones were too I just could not fit in them. They are well into 100K and I think they have 390hp(the old ones did) they are made by jaguar.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Re: Was that an XKR? (Sue Esponte)

For what it is, I don't think it's a bad car. The XKR is allegedly supposed to be good for around a 5.2~5.3 0-60 sprint for the convertible. The 420 hp and that exhaust note would be great, but it does suffer from too much weight.

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my opinion the Jaguar XKR and especially if it is the new one is poop from the underside of an elephants foot when he steps into a pile of dung made from a herd of wildebeests

Yikes.

Btw, everyone, it was the previous gen model - 390hp. I think its a nice looking car. Very smart looking (although the oversized roof boot looks a bit silly on a modern day car, IMHO).

-Eric

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
some luxury cars have good power so you don't get bored driving them but a pluch ride and def not a track car.

Lightweight is morew important than HP on a track car. I have a track bish that has 190rwhp but will wax ANY R out there just short of the SWC R. Oh yeah, it weighs 1600 lbs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: (R_Rated)

The difference between the Jag and the R are like night and day.

Its not all about 0-60 and drag races! Despite its weight, the XK can actually go around corners with some flair and you can actually feel what the car is doing rather than an R that just goes where you point it without any further driver input. The emphesis is on handling finess rather than just shear grip brought about by clever electronics.
The grin factor driving the Jag is in a different league.

This is a piccy of my old one:-

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (Token)

I'd take a 6 over the new XK in a second. The previous gen was a beautiful car. The current car is a nightmare of Ford design and despite what defender's say, IMHO, the front grill of the new XK is pure Taurus.

-Eric

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: (Sue Esponte)

I was at Ford's party in Pebble Beach last Thursday night. They revealed the new XKR. (at least it was the US unveiling.) Sorry, but that's just not going to cut it. too much competition in that and every other high end luxury category.

Last year was much more fun with the US unveiling of the Aston Martin V8 Vantage. I met David Richards of Prodrive and BAR F1 fame, who was of course invisible to the US partygoers.

I wonder what next year will bring...maybe the next V70/S60 unveiling???

Eric

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Re: Was that an XKR? (Helmut Ranff)

In my opinion the Jaguar XKR and especially if it is the new one is poop from the underside of an elephants foot when he steps into a pile

Helmut, how do you really feel?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Re: (Sue Esponte)

Quote, originally posted by Sue Esponte »
The current car is a nightmare of Ford design and despite what defender's say, IMHO, the front grill of the new XK is pure Taurus.

-Eric

Exactly what I thought when I saw it: Taurus! Why won't that car die!?!?!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Re: (Token)

Quote, originally posted by Token »
Both the old and new XK cars are beautiful. I would certainely have one in an instant over the fugly BMW 6

i have to disagree. i'm no bimmer fan, but the 6 looks like an angry shark when you look at it from the front and like a bullet from the side. IMHO, it's a state of the art car. i'd take an M6 over any Jag at all times. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Re: (Serdar-S60T5)

Quote, originally posted by Serdar-S60T5 »

i have to disagree. i'm no bimmer fan, but the 6 looks like an angry shark when you look at it from the front and like a bullet from the side. IMHO, it's a state of the art car. i'd take an M6 over any Jag at all times. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

You know, I never looked at the new XK until a few moments ago on Jaguar's website. If the BMW 6-series looks like an angry shark, then the XK can only be said to resemble a whale shark. You know... that big, slow-moving shark that you always see on The Discovery Channel. The one that just sits there with its mouth wide open sucking up plankton. The new XK looks like a very watered down (read melted) Aston Martin with a Grille transplanted directly from a Buick Lucerne. This is sad because I really liked the last version. All I can say is I hope it looks better in the flesh.

Is it just me or does every car company bought by Ford immediately begin to turn out garbage designs. The LR3 comes to mind, as does... dare I say it... Volvo's interior decor? (flame on, guys!)

- Tryg

·
Registered
643 Posts
Re: (RainyS60R)

Quote, originally posted by RainyS60R »

If the BMW 6-series looks like an angry shark, then the XK can only be said to resemble a whale shark. You know... that big, slow-moving shark that you always see on The Discovery Channel. The one that just sits there with its mouth wide open sucking up plankton.
hahaha
http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Is it just me or does every car company bought by Ford immediately begin to turn out garbage designs. The LR3 comes to mind, as does... dare I say it... Volvo's interior decor? (flame on, guys!)
- Tryg
which volvo's interior decor? the only one that resembles ford is the new S40 i guess, but i think that car looks quite good?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Re: (Helmut Ranff)

oh my god

the damn thing looks like a ford probe

how sad for a high class car like jaguar to fall into ford's hands...

·
Registered
14,140 Posts
Re: (RainyS60R)

Volvo has never been the standard bearer for interior design, so the Ford-influenced design of, say, the S40/V50 seems pretty good to me for the market that car is aimed at. I am looking forward to seeing a new S80 in person.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Re: (Helmut Ranff)

For as much as everyone is railing on the XK, it wasn't all Ford on this one. Most of it was Ian Callhum's design and all-in-all I think it isn't bad for what it is. I look at it like I look at the R: not a segment leader, but does everything well and fits my needs. And besides that, the XK is better than the mid-90's Jags that were produced. That old XJ was awful.

Modified by Vipergtsz3 at 9:31 AM 8-24-2006

1 - 20 of 26 Posts