SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 2.5T 2005 with approx 80,000km (50Kmiles) from a Volvo dealership. 150point check completed and the car is in great shape. They're trying to sell me warranty on the car. $3,000 for 3 years or 60km. Trying to decide if it's worth spending $3,000. Many problems after 80K besides normal maintenance?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Re: Warranty (Toronto1)

I bought my 02 T5 with 42k a year and a half ago and spent the extra cash to get a 3 year warranty just for piece of mind. Since then I've had two ignition coils go bad and the turbo drain hose seal started leaking and each time I get it fixed its only $50 out of my pocket, plus if something major happens in the next year and a half its only $50 to get it fixed. When you look at it that way, to me it seems it might be a good idea to purchase a warranty. Its like insurance, you might not use it but if you ever have something happen its good to have your a$$ covered.

·
Registered
262 Posts

Hmm .. insurance is always a tough question. It is gambling really.

chillidawg made a good point - peace of mind - perhaps spending the cash now will help you enjoy your car with peace of mind and no worries.

As for my thoughts (not really based on facts, just my thoughts) ... car warranties, particularly the non-OEM warranties, often seem to bit 'dodgy' and they try squirm out of claims. I would rather spin the dice and take my chances.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
i wouldn't get an extended warranty on an s60 unless

A) it has awd
B) it is an 01 with an automatic transmission
C) its an R(refer back to A)

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Re: (Impulse922)

Agreed. It's very unlikely that a regular '05 S60 would have $3k worth of warranty claims over three years. Put that money in a CD and use for repairs at an indie shop if needed.

·
Registered
63,542 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Toronto1 »
Many problems after 80K besides normal maintenance?
Uh yeah, buy the warranty. Try to work a little bit better of a deal but buy a GOOD (preferably a Volvo) warranty!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Re: Warranty (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »

Uh yeah, buy the warranty. Try to work a little bit better of a deal but buy a GOOD (preferably a Volvo) warranty!

Is that really your experience with the newer FWDs? (more Volvos go through your hands than I can image)

With the dealership retail labor prices, maybe...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Warranty (Mika)

I purchased the car from a Volvo dealership (Volvo Unionville). They have the Volvo 1 year, 2 year and 3 year warranties.

The car will be driven approx 15K a month, perhaps less as I purchased it for my wife.

I bought my 1998 C70 with the extended warranty. Never used it and the car is now sitting at 300K.

What I'm reading from the posts is that an 05 is fairly reliable just as long as the turbo, engine or trans don't go, I can pass on the extended, correct?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.