SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I’m looking for a little advice on getting a repair done… Here’s the story:

In April I noticed that my caR’s A/C was done for and decided I needed to have it checked out. I had the “Certified Volvo” warranty, so off to the dealership I went. The dealership informed me that although the warranty would indeed cover a leak, I would have to prove that it was leaking. Now to me this seemed a little odd… I guess that refrigerant somehow magically left my car without passing through a hole, but Volvo informed me it is perfectly normal for a 2006 to need refrigerant… I decided that it would be wise to have the dealer do the work, as I was quite certain there was a leak, so I paid the dealer to recharge the system and add dye ($230). I brought the car back to the dealer two weeks after the work was done to have them check for leaks. At this time my a/c was working great. They couldn’t find any leaks and told me the car was good to go. 4 months later here I am with no a/c once again. I took the car back to the dealership and was informed I have a leaking evaporator. As a side note, it’s almost impossible to even look at the evaporator. However, now I am outside my certified warranty which ended on 6-12-12. The dealership informed me they will cover the parts ($700) as long as I pay the labor ($1100). I told the dealership that it was not acceptable for them to expect for me to pay for the repair and after some discussions with the manager he had his guys check and re-check the evaporator because he was convinced that couldn’t be the root cause. That immediately threw a red flag for me because the tech told me without a doubt that it was a leaking evaporator the first time I talked to him. Maybe I’m making false assumptions but it seems they’re shooting from the hip. Am I being unreasonable in expecting them to pay for the repairs? This whole thing seems a little ridiculous to me. Any help on additional approaches I can take would be greatly appreciated. It seems the only thing I have left is to contact Volvo corporate. However, I’ve been told that that will lead to the same results, as Volvo corporate will direct the complaint to my regional rep (same guy whose preventing me from getting the repair now). Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I had a CPO covered A/C failure that was traced to a bad spring-thing that I don't know the technical name for. My 04 has never had its A/C refilled as far as I know.

I'd write a nice, professional letter to corporate if the regional rep can't help. Make sure to include copies of the invoices from before the warranty expired documenting you reporting the issue and them not fixing it.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Yo man, unfortunately the service writer, manager and rep will probably try and give you the run around while the tech will most likely give you a straight up answer as to the 1 or 2 things that it could be... every time. Tech's know their stuff and the other guys are usually shooting from the hip as you suggested.

I second n23's suggestion since you did bring this point up before the warranty ended.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
What is a warrantee?
Something your mom didn't buy you and what people like prienzo, myself and many others have taken advantage of just like...

·
Registered
11,936 Posts

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Something your mom didn't buy you and what people like prienzo, myself and many others have taken advantage of just like...
Right, never needed one called VCOA and they've always taken care of me. Other than that I pay for what I screw up with not bitch and complain to a warranty service, nor have I every paid for one or my mother for that matter.

A warrantee is the person to whom a warranty is made:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/warrantee
Thank you for correcting my typo! :)

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Right, never needed one called VCOA and they've always taken care of me. Other than that I pay for what I screw up with not bitch and complain to a warranty service, nor have I every paid for one or my mother for that matter.
Not to drift too far off topic, but several items on my 04VR have gone bad due to no fault of my own and the VIP I paid for took care of them*. In the end, it covered 150% of its costs, so it was a good deal, financially.

*Angle gear seal, three fuel pumps, radiator leaky endcap, spring seats, A/C spring, interior lighting panel, headlight ballast, etc.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update:

I spoke with the shop today. After additional troubleshooting a very small leak was found in the condenser. They are still holding their ground on me paying for the labor. I called Volvo north America as suggested in an earlier post. They informed me that my complaint would be processed and sent to my regional rep(same guy the dealers talk to). At this point I don't know if there's anything else I can do other than pursuing small claims court and that's not a gaurantee. The dealer wants $500 to do the repair, which is just labor. Guess its time to lube up...

·
Registered
844 Posts
You should have all paper work of your original complaint. Right? This proves that you had a problem when the vehicle was under warranty! Bring your receipts to the dealer, ask them to "do the right thing". Send copies of all receipts to Volvo of North America. I would make someone else feel the heat. Complain until you are spent. It just isnt right to hear that people in a dealership at Volvo will not do what is right. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Do you have another dealership you could talk to? Maybe the service manager at the other place will sympathize and stand up to the regional rep.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts