SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my S40 in for its 7500 mile service and notice my warranty expires in July of 2009. I picked up the car in September and received U.S. delivery in late October. Why does the warranty start in July?

I just wanted to know about other OSDers before I went back to the dealer to ask (since I now have a premonition that the car will fall apart in August of 2009).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Warranty Expiration Date (universityvolvoOSD)

Bob,

The warranty expiration date is one of the fields on the invoice, along with VIN, make, license and the like. One of the fields is "in service date" which is 4 years prior to the warranty expiration date. This must be when the car was built. If so, are we all getting gipped out of a couple of months of warranty?

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
Re: Warranty Expiration Date (steverino)

Steverino......

The in service date has nothing to do with the build date. Your in service date should be the day you take delivery of the vehicle...not when it was built. That is why I asked.
You should have rec'd a warranty activation certificate in your OSD paperwork. Look for it and verify the info and call Volvo @ 800-631-1667.
Volvo certainly does not want you to feel "gipped" as you put it!

BTW....your OSD salesperson should have taken care of this BEFORE you picked the car up........attention to details is not an accident...it's a habit! Let me know if I can help you! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Re: Warranty Expiration Date (steverino)

Just a minor data point: when I bought my XC90 (regular purchase), I paid the deposit a month before delivery (they were scarce back then). When it came time for the first visit, I noticed that the date in the invoice was the date when I paid the deposit, not when I took delivery. I told them about it and they were very quick in correcting it.

May be the date they put in your invoice was when you made final payment before your trip? Just guessing here.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: Warranty Expiration Date (ig_mb)

Quote, originally posted by ig_mb »
Just a minor data point: when I bought my XC90 (regular purchase), I paid the deposit a month before delivery (they were scarce back then). When it came time for the first visit, I noticed that the date in the invoice was the date when I paid the deposit, not when I took delivery. I told them about it and they were very quick in correcting it.

May be the date they put in your invoice was when you made final payment before your trip? Just guessing here.

Gentlemen,

The warranty does not start (whether it is an OSD or a local delivery) UNTIL THE CAR IS REGISTERED AS SOLD.

In the case of an OSD unit, it is the date that the car is delivered to the owner(s). In the case of a local delivery, it is the date that the retailer reports the car as SOLD.

Very simple. Do not listen to any gibberish that you hear (present thread company excluded).

Invoice dates do not matter. Sales agreement dates do not matter. Deposit and/or final payment dates do not matter. What matters is the date that the cars is reported as sold.

Yannis

·
Registered
499 Posts
Re: Warranty Expiration Date (GrecianVolvo)

Quote, originally posted by GrecianVolvo »

In the case of an OSD unit, it is the date that the car is delivered to the owner(s).

Yannis

So for OSD units, it would be the day when the local dealer delivers the car to us after it gets here from Europe and not the day FDC delivered the car to us at the factory?

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Re: Warranty Expiration Date (AccuView)

Quote, originally posted by AccuView »

So for OSD units, it would be the day when the local dealer delivers the car to us after it gets here from Europe and not the day FDC delivered the car to us at the factory?

The day the car is delivered @ the FDC is the date the car is registered as sold.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: Warranty Expiration Date (VolvoMax)

Quote, originally posted by VolvoMax »

The day the car is delivered @ the FDC is the date the car is registered as sold.

That is correct.

Yannis

1 - 9 of 9 Posts