SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts
Re: Warped rear rotors (Dyno)

Quote, originally posted by Dyno »

What was the root cause -- pad deposits or warping?

I honestly don't know if it was a pad deposit issue or actual warping due to heat. I could not tell on visual inspection so just replaced them. There were various theories abounding on these threads that Volvo purposely changed the brake bias on the S70 and V70 to place more reliance on the rear rotors after issues with the 850, but that is only hearsay. Never had another problem once I replaced them.

This was several years ago and we all thought it odd that the rears would cause problems while the fronts were fine.

Re: Warped rear rotors (Dyno)

Clearly a rotor could be manufactured "warped" which you would detect right away, or some odd metalurgical issue. I just have not seen it.

I have owned various automobiles with ATE (Teves), Girling, Brembo, et al, and I don't recall having a warped rotor, even on the older systems with solid, non ventilated, rotors.

Now if we are talking motorcycle disc brakes, with steel rotors, yes I have seen it and certainly felt it.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
When I collect the car tomorrow I will be speaking to the service manager to state my case and to find out what his take on the warping could have come from. I am an automotive engineer and a mechanic from years back so I am pretty good when cars are concerned.

Re: Warped rear rotors (rogersampson)

I was never aware of an rotor warping on 850's especially not the rear. In my opinion something is going on for a rotor to have run out at 14000 miles

I always expect caliper dragging but not with these new brembos so I do not know what it is

It is not abuse though from what the owner has said

Re: (JonnyEnglish)

Like Jim said, you can warp the rears rather easily if you are doing any "spirited" driving. I've done it twice and both times it was caused by the DSTC setting being left in nomal. Now when on the track I run in the reduced mode or shut it off and have never "warped" a rear rotor since. Cornering hard and accelerating and the DSTC will apply the rear brakes to stabilze the car.

Now are they warped or is it deposits of brake material is a differant story. The experts say you don't warp the rotors, you deposit brake material on the rotor which makes it feel like its warped. Jeff Hoover sent me this web site that spells it out, very informative.. http://www.zeckhausen.com/technical.htm Reading articles at this site I see you can put "track pads" on your car and they will clean off your rotors because of their extreme abrasiveness and eliminate that warped rotor(shuddering) feeling.
I installed track pads on my R tonight getting ready for Watkins Glen this weekend, bedded them in according to the above instructions, rotors are nice and clean. I have a set of rotors I took off a few months ago because of the "warped" rotor feeling and I plan on attempting to clean them with the track pads to see if I can get some track miles out of them......

Re: (Dyno)

Yes, both front and rear are ventilated. The rears are really not that much "lighter duty" than the fronts, as is the case with lesser brake systems.

Front - 336 by 30 mm
Rears - 330 by 28 mm

Both are four piston calipers.

Re: (rogersampson)

$500+ for rear pads and rotors? While I'm not familiar w/ newer R rear brakes, I just did the rears on my '98 V70 XC this past Wednesday. Took me 1/2 and hour in the driveway w/ a jack and hand tools. The only air tool I used was the impact gun to pull the lugs off with.

Break jobs must be a dealers dream. At $500+, I'm gueesing 1.5 - 2.0 hours of shop time. Flat-rate guys make a fortune doing that stuff.

BTW, I put Zimmerman rotors (solid) and Mintex pads on, and the total parts bill was <$100.

Re: (Mk1Racer)

How about an hour

Re: (rogersampson)

Quote, originally posted by rogersampson »
Yes, both front and rear are ventilated. The rears are really not that much "lighter duty" than the fronts, as is the case with lesser brake systems.

Front - 336 by 30 mm
Rears - 330 by 28 mm

Both are four piston calipers.

Front = 330 X 32.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Just got back from the dealer. I had a n/c 15000mile svc plus a couple of warranty issues taken care of. Still not good news on the rears, the svc manager told me the only way to warp a rotor is through excess heat, and that the warranty period from Volvo has passed. I told him I wasn't asking for them to be replaced due to wear but due to them being warped. Finally he told me they would set up a meeting with the regional rep to discuss the warping issue. All I want is to find out what is causing the over heating/warping or whatever is going on back there rectified.
Jonathan
Oh and by the way the CD player crapped out while it was at the shop...

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Ok so the local Volvo Rep came by today to look at the rear rotor warping issue that has been dogging my R for some time now. Any way as expected the claim was denied due to (get this) the car being lowered and the fact I have aftermarket spacers on the car. He adv this all could attribute to the warped rotors. The reputation of the Volvo Rep has just hit rock bottom in my estimation, as an automotive engineer and a mechanic in the past I am apalled at his mechanical knowledge and his thought processes. Yes he is a company man but Volvo has lost my business as a future buyer.
BE WARE OF ANY MODS YOU DO THEY CAN (AS SEEN HERE) NEGATIVELY AFFECT ANY AND ALL CLAIMS TURNED IN...

Re: Warped rear rotors (JonnyEnglish)

REAR rotors warped at 15K . . . on a $35K high-performance Volvo?

And they won't fix it?

Tell your service manager you didn't buy a $14K Chevy, and expect better than that sort of dodgy nonsense. If it were a Lexus, some engineer would be committing hari-kari over it.

If you were overheating your brakes that badly, you'd have more than warped rotors to worry about. And it wouldn't be at the rears, either.

I'll happily send you an affidavit.

Re: Warped rear rotors (sgmlaw)

Many of us who have had warped rear rotors have been replaced at Volvo's expense.
INSIST that THEY do yours too, stop listening to that load of horse manuer

Re: (JonnyEnglish)

Quote, originally posted by JonnyEnglish »

BE WARE OF ANY MODS YOU DO THEY CAN (AS SEEN HERE) NEGATIVELY AFFECT ANY AND ALL CLAIMS TURNED IN...

You should take it up with the regional guy's boss and start writing letters to the sales mgr, owner, etc.

This is unfortunately an all too real example, although extreme, of how a manufacturer responds to warranty claims when a vehicle has been modified. They will look for any connection, no matter how ridiculous, to deny a claim. Another reason why I will wait until mile 50,001 to start any mods.

Re: Warped rear rotors (JonnyEnglish)

Your thoughts?
Jonathan

And my reply

2005 S60R, Silver, Nordkap, Loaded, 18"Pegs with KDW2's, JL 8W7 sub in trunk, SvR 3" DP, SvR"lite" 3" Full Exhaust System, Unorthodox Pully, Evolve Lowering Springs, 10mm VPT Spacers on Rear, 35% all round with 15% on back window, BMC air filter.

Always driven granny style....

Really, I do not understand where you get the nerve to bring up an issue like this.

Rotors are wear items period. Any warranty gesture should be appreciated to the fullest. Anything less is plain and simple bad luck but also reality.

I warped front rotors within 12 laps of nurburgring.

That is 12 x 13.67 mile = ~164 mile . Drove less than 200 miles inbetween and ~670 miles to get to and back from the ring twice... Little over 1000 miles total. That is way less abuse than your 15K miles. Should I ask the dealer for warranty?

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Johan you are so far off base with your replies, unreal...You track the car you pay. Insurance won't cover you on the track neither will warranty. you blew out your brakes on your dime at the track your problem, mine was daily driving and the fronts are like new so my point is how can the rears be f****d if the fronts are like new. Not driven "granny style" at all spirited 80% of the time but They are not worn out, dude they have failed and not working as they should. there is 75% pad left on the rears so I am not looking for a replacement due to wear but because they are not working as they should. big selling point of the R are the Brembo brakes, and a car that is not tracked should last longer than 15k. There is something that is causing the brakes to run hot and Volvo didn't even offer to find out what has caused it.
Others have had the same issue and had their rears REPLACED upto 45K miles so your responce is moot at best

Modified by JonnyEnglish at 4:27 PM 5-19-2006

Modified by JonnyEnglish at 4:41 PM 5-19-2006

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.