SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been loving my XC40 since I picked it up in November. Over the past month or so, when decelerating off of the highway I've felt the brakes acting weird. It didn't take me long to realize that my rotors are probably warped. Bear in mind I only have about 3,500 miles on the vehicle. A quick call to the dealership to set up a service appointment. They diagnosed that all four rotors had some warping!
:eek:

Fortunately, it's all being covered under warranty. Just something for you all to keep your eyes open for.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have been loving my XC40 since I picked it up in November. Over the past month or so, when decelerating off of the highway I've felt the brakes acting weird. It didn't take me long to realize that my rotors are probably warped. Bear in mind I only have about 3,500 miles on the vehicle. A quick call to the dealership to set up a service appointment. They diagnosed that all four rotors had some warping!
:eek:

Fortunately, it's all being covered under warranty. Just something for you all to keep your eyes open for.
To create an awareness for a lay person; can you further define “brakes acting weird”; I want to keep an eye out. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To create an awareness for a lay person; can you further define “brakes acting weird”; I want to keep an eye out. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It felt like there was something on the brake rotors themselves. It almost felt like it was something that you could sand off or wear down. But with warped brake rotors, that's not how it works. It's like a needle trying to sand down a warped vinyl record... it just ain't gonna happen.

If you let it go too long, and the rotors get really warped, the whole car will start to shake when decelerating.

Here's a terrific video that should explain things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEzJurRu4y8

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,082 Posts
Read all the other 90/60 series sub-forums and you'll find almost everyone has had their brake rotors replaced within the initial 10k miles. They are defective and they warp! Volvo knows about it and replaces it for you without questions.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I'll tell you even more. They've replaced the rotors on my V60 @ 35K miles for free. I didn't even ask. They just did. Because they know the rotors suck.
Oh, and yeah, XC60 had rotors replaced @ 4K.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Unfortunately, I have been seeing this quite a lot around the 10k service mark on the local XC40's. We have been doing quite a lot of front rotors.

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
It would be interesting to know if the issue is rotors (metallurgy, manufacturing defect, etc.), pads (material composition) or some combination of both as this has occurred across pretty much all lines at Volvo even the Polestar cars that have a totally different braking system (large Brembo two piece set up). I just got new rotors at 15k miles on my Polestar - very thankful that it was covered as the dealer indicated the cost would have been $2,500.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It would be interesting to know if the wheels have been properly torqued or the brakes bedded from the factory. In my experience, warped rotors are usually the result of over or unevenly torqued wheel nuts. In some cases what feels like warped rotors are rotors that got improperly bedded.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts