SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy smokes never frigging do this yourself. After finally getting down to the PCV Breather Box, I find the bottom left bolt is hidden by the box itself AND the huge bracket that bolts the PS Pump, Alternator, and (?) A/C unit (whatever that is on bottom) ....

FSCK. Now I have to take all that crap off and of course won't that mess up my timing??

I'm so pissed at this design....

IF you do this yourself, go straight ahead and take off PS Pump, Alternator, etc. It's mandatory because you MUST remove the thermostat housing to remove the last intake bolt (YELLOW), required to replace the intake manifold GASKET. And that thermostat housing bolt (RED) is up underneath and a complete BITCH. Mine is stripped.

·
Registered
876 Posts
That will not mess up your timing. You will have to remove the accessory belt, not the timing belt.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh thank God. So easy to tighten up the accessory belt? Requires X torque?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
i have replaced about 8 oil trap and i never remove the manifold, the first 3 times i did and is not part of the 8 times. The hard part of all the job is the banjo bolt under the manifold that hold the coolant/vaccum line from the pcv new pipe. I have seen some people removing the radiador and intercooler and have enough space to do it. Its other way also.

·
Registered
295 Posts
You don't have to remove the accessories or bracket to get that lower left bolt or the lower left manifold bolt. Both spots have enough clearance for a 10mm 1/4" drive socket to fit. It's not exactly easy, but it beats pulling more components.

sent from...

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
i have replaced about 8 oil trap and i never remove the manifold, the first 3 times i did and is not part of the 8 times. The hard part of all the job is the banjo bolt under the manifold that hold the coolant/vaccum line from the pcv new pipe. I have seen some people removing the radiador and intercooler and have enough space to do it. Its other way also.
Same here, did not touch the manifold. Short stubby #19 metric wrench does the job for that banjo bolt. You would have to access it under the manifold from the driver's side. I also did not have to remove the alternator/PS pump etc. Just remove the bolts off the alternator to drop it a little. This will give you enough clearance. Next time I approach this job I will most likely remove the throttle body. That may give some more space. Might as well clean it too.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I just did this job on my POS '96 855 (N/A, 2.0 5 cyl with 250k+ miles) and I didn't need to pull any accessories off. I did have to remove the intake manifold though; probably different enough of a design by now that you have to. Sorry man. :(

-Steve

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
and this was 1 of the many reasons I paid my indy $295 to install the complete PVC system in my car :D not worth the hassle or time for me.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wished I had too, but I'm getting to do so many other things while "in there" such as finding the throttle body being covered in grime, replacing the FPS (not that its hard, but its in the path), changing out old hoses and wire harnesses, general cleaning, painting.
There are benefits, but the job itself suuucks.

One of these guys who has done it 5 times without removing the manifold should explain how, step by step. Unless you're coming from under the car?? I just don't see how.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I never hesitated asking a dumb question before, so why worry now?

Is there any way to flush this system out in order to avoid all this disassembly? If there was a way to run a solvent through the system immediately before an oil change, sure would be nice.

best,

P

·
Registered
581 Posts
I did this myself a couple months back, did remove the PS pump and intake mani. But I totally agree the hardest part was the banjo bolt. It was a total PITA but it's all done now and I installed the SNABB intake pipe while I was in there :thumbup:

·
Registered
919 Posts
just wanted to contribute my experience here as well - with the pcv oil trap... with my radiator and intercooler lowered i could see the oil trap pretty well (throttle body and manifold werent touched), and was able to access both bolts very easy. The stunning thing was that while Grok is right and the bolt is very well hidden VISUALLY, its very easy to get to with a 1/4 drive and 10mm socket. I couldnt even see it and didnt try but just blindly went straight in with the 9" extension and hit it easily. same way going back in, no one more surprised than me.

while like i said my IC and rad were lowered, i think you could do this even without them, you'd just want to pull the tb and assoc piping but you should be able to get to it - pull rad fan at most!

also, with the IM bolt, you can get that by reaching your right hand in with a small 10mm wrench along behind the throttle body spot (have to have TB off). But the point is you dont HAVE to remove the housings which do a great job of blocking it. Also, you can get it most of the way is a 1/4 drive socket and a U-joint, but if you put the snabb spacer in it becomes even harder and you have to finish it with the stubby 10mm reacharound trick... not fun, but it works!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Planning on replacing my pcv tomorrow.... Ive neglected it for a while and feel bad lol.. Im not taking the intake manifold off im going to try and wing it by reaching from driver side under manifold

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
You don't even have to remove the accessory belt (or any of the accessories). Just use a long 1/4 extension and a normal socket? I've done so many of these it takes like 3 hours start to finish IF you decide to take the manifold off. You can do it without even removing the manifold if you remove the fan, which takes like 4 minutes.

You also don't have to remove the thermostat housing to change the manifold gasket, or remove the manifold. I just cut a small notch (in the gasket) the furthest point away from the main manifold surface and fit it around the bolt. Why would you waste coolant when it's not necessary?

ugh.. love reviving old threads...

·
Registered
661 Posts
You don't even have to remove the accessory belt (or any of the accessories). Just use a long 1/4 extension and a normal socket? I've done so many of these it takes like 3 hours start to finish IF you decide to take the manifold off. You can do it without even removing the manifold if you remove the fan, which takes like 4 minutes.

You also don't have to remove the thermostat housing to change the manifold gasket, or remove the manifold. I just cut a small notch in the furthest point away from the main manifold surface and fit it around the bolt. Why would you waste coolant when it's not necessary?

ugh.. love reviving old threads...
Thanks man going to give it a go

1 - 15 of 15 Posts