SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got word back from the shop. Apparently a good thing that I got the VIP extended warranty, because they’re saying that the ERAD transmission issue is NOT considered covered under the 8yr 100,000mile hybrid power system warranty.

I guess since it’s not the actual electric part of the ERAD they’re considering it a mechanical part.

Just an FYI since I know some people have or will be having this issue and were expecting it to fall under the longer warranty period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Well, if mine packs after warranty expiry and it begins to cost me an arm and a leg to repair, Volvo may as well kiss my bottoms goodbye

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Very weird. Now people need to hire lawyer to buy a car to read those fineprints.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
I thought ERAD was part of the powertrain ???

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
My 2017 Hybrid Warranty

Here is the Warranty for the 2017 XC90 Hybrid. It does not specifically call out the ERAD as an emission based item.

IF THE ENGINE VIN CODE NUMBER has BC listed then the following are covered for 15 years or 150,000 miles
Catalytic Converter
Charge Air Cooler
CVVT Timing Device (Exhaust)
CVVT Timing Device (Inlet)
Electronic Throttle Module (ETM)
Engine Control Module
Fuel Injectors
Fuel Pump
Fuel Pump Electronic Module (PEM)
Fuel Tank Assembly
Transmission Control Module
Turbocharger
Supercharger
Fuel filler Pipe
The Engine Control Module and Catalytic Converter are also covered by the 8-year or 80,000-mile Long Term Emissions Warranty.

Volvo's 2017 New VehicleWarranties & Complimentary Factory Scheduled Maintenance ProgramNew Vehicle Limited Warranty (U.S.)New Vehicle Warranty (Canada)
4 years/50,000 miles/80,000 kilometers
Battery WarrantyA 4 years/50,000 miles/80,000 kilometers,
Full CoverageCalifornia Hybrid Battery Warranty10 years/150,000 miles
Hybrid Battery8 years 100,000 miles/160,000 kilometers
Adjustments1 year/12,000 miles/20,000 kilometers
Seat belts and S.R.S. 5 years/unlimited mileage/kilometers
Corrosion Protection12 years/unlimited mileage/kilometers

Emission Defects and Performance, U.S./CanadaShort-TermB2 years/24,000 miles/40,000 kilometersLong-Term8 years 80,000 miles/130,000 kilometers

California Emissions Warranty –California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jer- sey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington
Performance 3 years/50,000 miles
Defects Short-TermB3 years/50,000 milesDefects
Long-Term7 years/70,000 miles

Partial Zero Emissions VehiclesEmissions Defects and PerformanceModel year 2017 vehicles with engine VIN code BC sold and registered inCalifornia, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island or Vermont are classified as Partial Zero Emissions (PZEV) vehicles. PZEV vehicles have a defects and performance emissions warranty on all emissions components for fifteen (15) years or150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

ARemote Keyless Entry, Navigation, DVD and Headphone System batteries are covered for 4 years/50,000 miles/80,000 km.B Volvo continues coverage under the new car warranty to four (4) years or 50,000 miles/80,000 kilometers, whichever occurs first.C Hybrid components are covered for 8 years or 100,000 miles/160,000 kilometers, whichever occurs first.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought ERAD was part of the powertrain ???
Typically a powertrain warranty covers everything involved in getting power from the engine to the wheels, excluding wear items. So things like the transmission are covered but CV joints aren’t.

Considering these damn things are imploding faster than the CV joints maybe Volvo has decided to classify them as a wear item?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I just got off the phone with Volvo and they are apparently “unable to make determinations” and wouldn’t even confirm or deny whether the ERAD transmission component was covered. They said the dealer would be the one to talk to, and according to mine it’s listed by part number as not covered.

So if any of you with a T8 are nearing 50,000 miles and don’t have an extended warranty, I’d want to make certain that your car isn’t affected. Mine was in the “showing signs but not enough to prove it to a service manager” for a long time but really didn’t start showing bad symptoms until about 55,000. If I didn’t have the extended warranty I’d be furious.

Apparently a bit of the delay on my car has been tying to figure out who is responsible for paying for it because the VIP people assumed it would be covered by the factory as well.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Yes it seems that the extended 15 year 150,000 miles is all about the emissions driven parts. The battery itself is covered for the 8 years or 100,000 miles. If you think about it the engine itself is not covered beyond the 4 years and 50,000 miles. The ERAD is considered part of the engine/drive train? I guess the key is to make sure your ERAD is in good shape prior to the end of warranty.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was concerned/angry when I first saw this so I did a little more digging regarding new vehicle warranties. Here's what I found:

Volvo XC90 T8: New Vehicle Warranty is 4 years/50k miles. Hybrid battery is covered for 8 years/100k miles or 10 years/150k miles in CA. The electric drive unit/motor is not mentioned or I didn't find it.

BMW X5 eDrive40e: New Vehicle Warranty is 4 years/50k miles. The PHEV components including battery management and the Electric Drive Motor is covered for 7 years/70k miles. The High-Voltage Lithium-Ion Battery is covered for 8 years/80k miles.

Toyota Highlander Hybrid: New Vehicle Warranty is 3 years/36k miles. Powertrain (Engine, transmission, fwd/rwd system) are covered for 5years/60k miles. Hybrid System Warranty is 8 years/100k miles and covers the battery and motor.

Tesla Model 3 LR: New Vehicle Limited Warranty is for 4 years/50k miles. The Battery and Drive Unit are covered for 8 years/120k miles.
Tesla Model S and X: New Vehicle Limited Warranty is 4 years/50k miles. The Battery and Drive Unit are covered for 8 years/125k miles.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
This was discussed for '18+ XC60 T8s and several of us contacted customer care for a definition of "hybrid system" - it included the ERAD.

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe that was before the transmission portion was available.
That’s the crappy part. When they were just doing full module replacement for the ERAD failures this would have been a covered issue. ERAD fails, replace it.

Now it’s ERAD fails, but rebuild it replacing this one part we don’t consider part of the ERAD.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Hmm well that list isn't complete so I don't know what to believe. I haven't had any out of warranty yet.

I see what they are saying though. The hybrid portion of the ERAD would be covered by the Hybrid Warranty. The other portion is not. Like how the CISG, which is bolted to the engine and available separately, would be but the engine assembly would not be.

·
Registered
65 Posts
wow, this is exactly why I come to this forum, thanks for sharing.
I am nearing warranty expiration in a few months, and am on the fence whether spending ~$4,000 to extend it for another 4 years/50K miles is worth it.

My main concern was the twincharged engine extracting 316hp from just 2.0L of displacement could start to act up in an expensive way down the road, while existing warranty had my back on the entire hybrid componentry. I guess not so much, they will look for a way to screw you on any repairs, which will inevitably be expensive on a hybrid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I just got off the phone with Volvo and they are apparently “unable to make determinations” and wouldn’t even confirm or deny whether the ERAD transmission component was covered. They said the dealer would be the one to talk to, and according to mine it’s listed by part number as not covered.

So if any of you with a T8 are nearing 50,000 miles and don’t have an extended warranty, I’d want to make certain that your car isn’t affected. Mine was in the “showing signs but not enough to prove it to a service manager” for a long time but really didn’t start showing bad symptoms until about 55,000. If I didn’t have the extended warranty I’d be furious.

Apparently a bit of the delay on my car has been tying to figure out who is responsible for paying for it because the VIP people assumed it would be covered by the factory as well.

Hi
I'm having exactly the same issues with my 2016 T8. What was the solution to your problem? Did volvo cover the read ERAD transmission?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi
I'm having exactly the same issues with my 2016 T8. What was the solution to your problem? Did volvo cover the read ERAD transmission?
I had a 2016 T8 and the last issue I had was the ERAD transmission. When we would drive the car from a stop it wouldn't move for the first 2-3 seconds then the gas engine would kick in HARD. Took it to the Volvo dealership and they repaired it. Mine was a CPO and the warranty was ending October 2021. They never mentioned that it wasnt covered under my warranty and just replaced it at no cost to me. You can see my post history to read about my 2016 issues. We ended up trading the car in, at a huge loss, for a brand new 2020 T6. We are happier with the 2020 and feel that it drives much nicer than our 2016.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I had a 2016 T8 and the last issue I had was the ERAD transmission. When we would drive the car from a stop it wouldn't move for the first 2-3 seconds then the gas engine would kick in HARD. Took it to the Volvo dealership and they repaired it. Mine was a CPO and the warranty was ending October 2021. They never mentioned that it wasnt covered under my warranty and just replaced it at no cost to me. You can see my post history to read about my 2016 issues. We ended up trading the car in, at a huge loss, for a brand new 2020 T6. We are happier with the 2020 and feel that it drives much nicer than our 2016.
Can you let us know if Volvo helped you out at all? What if anything came from you reaching out to them per the advice of some? It's good to close the loop and helpful to let others know how issues were or weren't resolved after posting about a problem. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts