SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fuse problem on a California spec 1990 240 DL Wagon. The fuse ID list on the fuse box cover differs somewhat from the manual. The #13 fuse (15A) is listed for the seat heaters, the headlight dip mechanism (Canadian only-so it doesn't apply to mine), and the warm starter valve. I believe it is the warm starter valve that is causing the problem as the passenger seat heater (the only working one) works when I replace the fuse and start the car cold. However, when I start the car warm the fuse immediately blows (without the seat heater switches in the on position). I'm pretty sure I ruled out the seat heaters; the fact that the fuse blows when the car is started warm has me leaning towards this warm starter valve. I have searched forums and googled "warm starter valve" to no avail. The manual and other forums list fuse #13 for a different set of circuits, so I think this might me a California emissions specific specification. I also can't find any info on warm starter valves; there is plenty of info on cold start valves though. Anyway, the engine runs fine and starts fine whether cold or warm. Sometimes the coolant temperature gauge registers colder than it should, but I don't if that's related. Also, someone tried to jump another car with this one (not me, I swear) and accidently reversed the polarity between the two cars, so the SRS light is stuck on (this may have also fried the "warm starter valve"). Any info would be very helpful.<p>Thank you,<p>ncrisafi

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Warm Starter Valve Fuse Blows When Starting Warm (ncrisafi)

Welcome to Swedespeed.<p>Try dumping the OBD codes and let us know what comes out.<p>George Dill<p>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Warm Starter Valve Fuse Blows When Starting Warm (gdill2)

Sorry, I should have mentioned that those came up as 111 for both sockets. So no errors. Could Volvo have simply decided to call the cold start valve the warm starter valve: <A HREF="http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1990/volvo/240/fuel_injection/cold_start_valve.html" TARGET="_blank">http://www.partsgeek.com/catal....html</A><p>Again, I haven't noticed any performance issues, just fuse #13 blowing whenever I start the car warm. This is mostly an inconvenience because my fiancee likes the seat heater when the seats are cold, and when the fuse blows...well you get the idea.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts

Confirm the listed rating for #13 fuse and confirm the rating for the replacement fuse.<p>George Dill<p>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I have replaced the fuse with the proper rated one quite a few times and it still blows during warm start.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts

20 pages of wiring diagrams for '90 240...<p><A HREF="http://pliki.mojevolvo.pl/schematy/volvo_240__1990.pdf" TARGET="_blank">http://pliki.mojevolvo.pl/sche...0.pdf</A><p>...see any answers?<p>George Dill

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thank you for the diagrams George. After looking at these it seems Fig. 6: Rear Wiper, Seat Heater, Taillight (Grid 20-23) matches fuse #13 in my car as it is connected to the seat heaters. However, I was unable to find any mention of a warm starter valve. By looking more carefully at the diagrams I was able to come to some conclusions after researching the fuel injection system here: <A HREF="http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/fuel_injection/k_jetronic.shtml" TARGET="_blank">http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/te...shtml</A>. I concluded that there are a few different areas where a failure could be occurring: It could be as simple as an old fuel filter or it could be one of the (two?) fuel pumps not providing enough pressure; it could be the ecu failing to properly activate one of the many aspects of the fuel system that does something different depending on whether or not the engine is warm or cold; it could also be one of many parts including the thermo-time switch, the warm-up regulator or the auxiliary-air device. Any failure of a part related to the warm starter valve (which may actually be be one of the previously mentioned parts) could cause the valve to malfunction (either permanently or temporarily). I think I am a little overwhelmed by this and should perhaps talk to an independent Volvo mechanic or one at a dealer. Any further advice?<p>Thanks,<p>NC<br>

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts

Look at the fuse box...<p>Try a cold start with #13 fuse pulled.<p>If the car starts check to see if the warm-up behavior is the same as with the fuse.<p>If yes continue...<p>Now that the car is warm do a warm start with #13 fuse pulled.<p>If the car starts check to see if the warm running behavior is the same as with the fuse.<p>If yes continue...<p>Still in the fuse box, temporarily remove the wire that supplies power to the seat heaters (determine this in advance of all the above). This should be at terminal #13.<p>Do another warm start with #13 fuse still pulled.<p>If the car runs ok continue...<p>Replace the #13 fuse (seat heaters still unplugged) and do another warm start.<p>If #13 fuse does not blow on this warm start...<p>Reconnect the seat heater power supply wire to a different fuse teminal with the same or higher fuse rating.<p>With all accessories OFF do yet another warm start.<p>If #13 fuse is still ok turn on the seat heaters with both front seats unoccupied.<p>If all fuses are ok and with the car running occupy the driver's seat.<p>If all is still ok occupy the px seat (both front seats occupied)<p>If all is still ok...<p>With front seats occupied turn off the seat heaters then turn off the engine.<p>With all accessories OFF do a warm start (any gas remaining in the tank?).<p>If all fuses OK turn on the seat heaters.<p>If all is ok...<p>With the changes made as above do a cold start.<p>If all is ok dump the OBD codes again.<p>If all is 1-1-1 you are ready to roll.<p>Where were we?<p>Oh, yeah - visit your favorite online aftermarket auto catalog and order up a seat cushion that plugs into the cigar lighter with settings for heat, cool air and fan.<p>BTW, all my fiances as self-warming bottoms.<p>George Dill<p>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

There is only one wire connected to the fuse box at #13 (it is blue and red). Since there is only the one wire, I unplugged the seat heaters underneath each seat. Even with both seat heaters unplugged under the seat the fuse will blow during a warm start, although it doesn't do it right away. Should I pry up the switches and disconnect from there? The engine still behaves the same. Idle seems to be smooth (although I don't have anything to reference this to) and the engine doesn't do anything strange. Still no codes but 111 from each socket. Takes about 5 seconds for the engine to turn over (generally even when warm) which is about 7-8 cranks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts