SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have the C70 T5 2010 Auto. I would like to change the absorbers/struts to harder more sporty ones, preferably without lowering the car or changing the springs.

Like to see advice between Bilsteins B6, KONI FSD, which is better?

Or would you have any other recommendations? (do post some product links if have)

i saw the KONI Yellows but they are sports struts which are for lowered car by 40mm which I am trying to avoid cos where I live there are a lot of speed bumps and slopes.

Hope to hear your sharing.

Thanks.

Regards,

CK

·
Registered
642 Posts
Search is your friend, but sounds like you want Koni FSD. Today is the last day for 25% off from Eurosport or Viva, but they won't be in until October.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
if you want harder/stiffer riding shocks and that "bmw" ride, then get the bilsteins.

FSDs actually are very comfortable... until you corner when they will stiffen up so there's less body roll. i really like my FSDs, but they definitely don't turn the ride into a sports car... keeps it a luxury car but with improved handling. maybe because i've gotten used to them and now want an even sportier ride, but i've been tempted to get 30mm eibach lowering springs to get even sportier handling.

but i don't want to lose ride quality and risk putting a hole in my oil pan with the crappy roads still around here in LA (although it's starting to get better, more new pavement), or risk premature cv joint wear. but i know folks who have done eibach + FSDs are pretty happy. our cars are just heavy...i wish the valving for the FSDs could be just a tad firmer to accommodate for the additional weight over S40/C30s.

got mine during a summer eurosport sale as well. but it did take a couple of months to special order/deliver.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have the FSD+lowering springs and I'm happy with it as it sits and rides. I haven't had issues with speed bumps or potholes.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
francisd, remind me again which lowering springs you using. eibach? heico? h&r? elevate?

I have the FSD+lowering springs and I'm happy with it as it sits and rides. I haven't had issues with speed bumps or potholes.

·
Registered
224 Posts
francisd, remind me again which lowering springs you using. eibach? heico? h&r? elevate?
I have the Eibach springs.

I haven't yet installed my spacers so I'm not quite done the current round of work.

I believe I may have a bad wheel bearing in the front that needs addressing next. :(

·
Registered
326 Posts
Been very happy with Koni Fsd and stock springs along with elevate rear sway bar. Did it all myself and couldn't be happier. Eventually paid my shop to do the rear control arms too, to correct alignment. The adjustable arms made dialing the alignment in a piece of cake. Love driving the car on twisty roads!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Posting a separate message, but wanted to catch the current thread.

I have been informed by Eurosport that Koni has discontinued the FSD kit for the C70. If you were even thinking about the Koni FSDs, please join me in soliciting Koni to produce a group buy run, hopefully at the summer discount price of about $630.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I need to read up a little more on them as I wasn't quite there yet but if they are really the way to go, count me in. I assume retailers don't keep them in stock due to very little demand.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
not surprised. low volume model that's now discontinued.

even when it wasn't discontinued i got the feeling they did very small runs since i had to wait 2-3 months to receive it. it shouldn't be too hard since it's the same shock as for other P1s but just slightly different valving for the weight of the top... in fact wonder how different handling would be using a FSD for a s40 or v50

Posting a separate message, but wanted to catch the current thread.

I have been informed by Eurosport that Koni has discontinued the FSD kit for the C70. If you were even thinking about the Koni FSDs, please join me in soliciting Koni to produce a group buy run, hopefully at the summer discount price of about $630.

·
Registered
642 Posts
More questions:

Koni list the FSDs as 2006-2010. Was there a change in 2011? Is there an improved Volvo setup? Or did Koni just lose interest in updating their catalog?

Has anyone driven the Koni Sports? They say adjustable, so maybe I can dial them in.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
no change in 2011

not tried the sport/yellows but they're known to be stiff even at their softest setting and designed for lowering springs

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Just because they are designed for lowering springs, you can still send them to koni and ask them to revalve them to whatever spring rate you like. The same goes for bilstein.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
didn't know that. how much is that revalving service?

Just because they are designed for lowering springs, you can still send them to koni and ask them to revalve them to whatever spring rate you like. The same goes for bilstein.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts