SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello SwedeSpeed,

First time poster, long time lurker signing-up. I have been on the hunt for an S60R for a few months now, and I got to test drive a couple on complete opposite sides of the condition spectrum. My first ride was a 2004 Red on Gobi 6MT from a small time dealer in the Akron area. What a pile that was; electrical issues, leaks everywhere and a busted bum heater. Total deal-breaker. The second was an 2005 Magic Blue on Nordkap with NAV, sport kit and service records that was in absolutely excellent condition from Columbus. It was in perfect shape, but I got hung up on the price and it was gone before I could cave to what he was asking.

I reside in SE Michigan, about an hour south of Detroit, and willing to drive out of state. I'm looking to make a cash deal. I am pre-approved for an auto loan and would only need a copy of the seller's title for the bank to cut me a check. I'm willing to utilize an Escrow vehicle purchase service and get the car shipped if it ticks the right boxes for me.

My criteria, in order of importance:

Clean title
Manual 6 Speed
Mileage can swing around 100k
Sport kit
Nordkap or Atacama
05 or newer preferred
Navigation (How functional is the NAV on these anyways? Never got to test it, maybe it's something I can live without)
18" Pegasus wheels

A nice example:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zbs5530c8p7n91c/IMAG0270.jpg?dl=0

What else what else what else, I know I'm forgetting something. Anyways, don't be shy if you can't hit all those. Think of them as guidelines. Service records are always appreciated and valued. Light mods are ok by me. Please feel free to contact me through email, better yet send pics!

Thank you for your time, hope to hear from you!

Ralph
[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
You can definitely live without the navigation! The maps are not up-to-date, so it's not particularly useful.

I'm curious why you want 05+ in an M66. Just for the body color trim? The AWD is the same for 04 and 05. The seats are better in 04 (especially Nordkap!). Just food for thought.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
R-POWER,

Honestly, the Nav gets me geeked the way it slides out of the dash, but if it's not useful I won't make it a priority. I do prefer the painted moldings of the 05 and up. Are the failure rates of the angle gear sleeve significantly better in the 06-07?

Also, have people had any success in finding a vehicle in the WTB section?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, greekone.

That is a nice car, although for me to fly out or get a car shipped would mean that most of those boxes get ticked. I'm sure you'll have no problem selling. They have been selling like crazy around here.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Understandable.

For full asking price I'd be willing to drive the car to you (roughly 11 hours) and fly back on my dime.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Greekone,

Thank you, I will keep it under consideration.

I'm not in any particular hurry, so I'll probably stickshift it out for the sport kit nordkap.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'll second r-power saying that the nav is nothing special. All I've used mine for is to show off to friends that it pops up lol. Wish my car's original owner had spent the $2k on a sport kit instead!

As for the AWD being better in 06, it has nothing to do with the angle gear and all to do with the rear end. 2006+ got the next generation haldex system, with the "instant torque" feature, where it predicts when you need the AWD and engages it before the wheels even start to spin. Its nicer because the 2004-2005 you get a little wheelspin first then it grabs the rear.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what I understand after doing a search is that the Haldex reacts faster to wheel spin in the 06-07. Is this "instant torque" feature really THAT noticeable?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Got one!

So I found one on AutoTrader in Minneapolis, had it remotely inspected, and put down a hold payment. A couple minor issues gave me some leverage during negotiations, so I think I got a good price (compared to private party values on SS and AutoTrader). On Monday my dad and I road trip to Minnesota to pick up the car. It's about 10 hours one way. We arrive at dusk and I walk into the showroom; they kept it inside for me which was a nice touch. About a half hour later we were out of there, fueling up and grabbing dinner.

First thing that jumped out at me was NO HEATED SEATS! NOOOO! Reassuringly, my dad goes about, "it's just one less component to break!". Yeah, sure, okay, fine. Let's go. We get back to the lot to pick up our other car and I grab all my CD's. We're getting ready to do about an hour to Eau Claire for a cheap hotel. I go to start putting CD's in my player and kept getting ERROR. NOOOO! NO CD'S FOR TEN HOURS!! So I hit the SCAN button while bombing Minneapolis tunnels with my stock exhaust, and we were off to the Super8.

Next day I wake up and make one of those DIY waffles while watching the tube. I see massive snow clouds encapsulate all the states we were passing through; Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and finally Michigan. YESSS a chance to put that AWD to work. A few hours in to the drive and we are stop and go behind a 40 car pile-up. Sure, okay. At least I can learn to shift at crawling speeds for an hour and a half straight. We get off the next exit, get some lunch and start calculating other routes to dodge all the crap. We decide to stop in Rockford as we have some friends there, so we hung for the night, drank a couple cold ones and crashed for an early rise Wednesday.

I'm up early, like 6 AM early, cleaning up our mess and making coffee. We leave about an hour later, just in time for Chicago rush hour. My dad wiggled us around the city somehow, and we popped out on some pretty sweet chi-metro burb swervies where I could lay down that sport mode. We hop back on the highway and maybe a half hour goes by before we hit Indiana, and it is smooth sailing from there. May god damn whoever's in charge of radio in Indiana, luckily I was accompanied by a symphony playing in the key of 5 cylinder turbo.

So since Monday, I put about a thousand miles on the clock. I can already tell that I freaking love this vehicle. But we all know by now that love isn't just rainbows and great sex all the time. Love comes with its own challenges.

Challenges like:
  • A weird clunking, loose noise on the front suspension probably related to a ball joint or bushing, or if I'm really lucky a tie-rod end.
  • Broken disc changers (HU 850)
  • Weird tinted headlight which is probably a hard to reach ballast
  • Rearview mirror that's smudged with goop that I need to replace
  • Due for spark plugs
  • Hard shake on start up that almost immediately smooths out, motor mount?
  • Maybe a slight, slight, barely noticeable and may only be in my head engine knock? I also heard it in my mustang gt, could just be how motors sound.

The car is in overall very good condition. No dents, a couple minor scratches that will most definitely buff out, and the paint is stellar. Didn't notice the metallic sparkles in the Magic Blue until a couple days later in the sun. Really nice car. If there are any Michigan guys or girls out there, get at me! I'll let you sell me all your best mods!

Thank you Swedespeed, for being an instrumental resource to newcomers!

See ya aRound!

(not my evo)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts