SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I'm interested in purchasing a 2004 2.5L 5 cylinder xc90 with about 90k miles on it. The purchase price is $9000. Is that a good deal?

Also, i've been reading up on problems with the T6 models especially transmission failures around 60-80k miles, but I can't seem to find much about the 5 cylinder engine model. Are there common problems i should be aware of at higher miles? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
PCV/sludge, make sure services were performed regularly. Due for timing belt at those miles. Make sure the AWD works.

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
Yes. Turbocharged engines aren't tolerant of Dino oil nor Volvo's 7500 mile intervals.

A 2004 with 90k miles probably was a city runabout. That exacberates the issue.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I purchased my 06 V8 fully loaded with every option except motion sensor and rear seat entertainment with 80k on the clock for $13k out the door. Your deal sounds pretty good, but here's a few things I would recommend that you do immediately with the cash you saved:

Oil change with quality synthetic oil - I use GC at 10k intervals, but with the T5 motor I'd probably do a shorter interval

Check timing belt, replace if no records.

Flush transmission fluid - don't power-flush it, just do the cooler bypass method. Documented here several times - use ONLY toyota type IV / Mobil 1 3309 fluid! Redline D4 is also an acceptable alternative, but expensive.

Check / clean / replace PCV valve. They clog up often on the T5.

Check lower control bushings and ball joint. Any alignment shop can tell you if they're worn and need to be replaced.

Check sunroof drains - make sure they're draining properly, and drill out the drain hole to prevent it from clogging.

Cabin / engine air filter. These take 5 minutes, slightly longer for the cabin filter.

Fuel filter - takes 10 minutes. Can get messy so do it outside.

Flush brake fluid. No need for fancy brake fluid, just the Valveline DOT4 fluid from autozone works great.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm interested in purchasing a 2004 2.5L 5 cylinder xc90 with about 90k miles on it. The purchase price is $9000. Is that a good deal?

Also, i've been reading up on problems with the T6 models especially transmission failures around 60-80k miles, but I can't seem to find much about the 5 cylinder engine model. Are there common problems i should be aware of at higher miles? Thanks!
We have 90k on our XC90 and it has been a great car. The 2.5T is one of Volvo's best engines and has been around for a long time. Get the maintenance records if you can.

As others have said, it is about time for a timing belt replacement.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have a 2004 and aside from ensuring the maintenance was done you may just want to go ahead and do a stage 0 tune for peace of mind. Make sure all the bulbs work too. Take the time to notice if anything isn't working as is should be.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Hi Guys,

Great idea
Phokus, welcome to the club, a 2.5T is one of the best engines, and will run perfect with the 5 speed auto tranny that volvo put in there. There is just a few things you need to check before any buy.

- maintenance records, if you can get it.
- oil cap will tell you about oil changes, any sing of carbon, burn oil smell will tell you something.
- with the engine running, remove the oil stick and see if there is any smoke coming from there, if yes that means that new pcv system will be need it.
- look for any oil leaks around the car
- drive it hard for a few miles so you will see if there is any smoke coming out from the exhaust and the tranny shifting fine.

When you get it, let us know!!! there is a few things that you will need to buy and enjoy the XC90. I love mine.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The 2004 2.5T is not due for timing belt replacement until 120,000 miles. I drove one of these for 9 years with no problems. Loved it. Used Dino no prob.

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
The 2004 2.5T is not due for timing belt replacement until 120,000 miles. I drove one of these for 9 years with no problems. Loved it. Used Dino no prob.
You are playing with fire if you do 120k mile timing belt changes. PERIOD.

70-90k or 7 years.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
at least on my local dealer they replaced all the timing bet at 70k..

·
Registered
689 Posts
120K for timing belt replacement is stated in the 2004 Volvo manual. Mine has been serviced at the local dealer and they have not pushed to replace anything early. Of course, you are free to spend your money to replace it earlier. In spite of advancements in engineering many replace their spark plugs, oil, and all kinds of serviceable items early... many shops are happy to oblige. I tend to think Volvo Car knows more about the vehicle then others and doesn't have an interest, financial or otherwise, in alienating owners by recommending too long between services. But that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
262 Posts
...doesn't have an interest, financial or otherwise, in alienating owners by recommending too long between services. But that is just my opinion.
...and a naive one at that. Of course manufacturers have a financial interest in promoting longer than optimal service intervals:

1. It makes their cars seem more hassle free and cost efficient to the gullible buyer, improving immediate sales.
2. It ensures that fewer cars will be serviceable for 200k+ miles, improving long term sales.
3. Their dealer networks would rather replace your transmission at 150k for $7000 than change the fluid 3-5 times for a total of $600-1000, improving dealer satisfaction.
4. And there is virtually no downside to conservatively overestimating service intervals because far more people will see long service intervals as benefit than will suffer catastrophic failures that dissuade them from buying another car.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Didn't that year and model have sunroof issues and tranny issues?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Timing belt is cheap compared to replacing the motor. If the belt has a problem it will most likely ruin the motor. It is like stepping over a dollar to get a penny.

·
Registered
689 Posts
If a belt is replaced early it is of course on track to fail earlier than the next recommended interval, i.e. 240,000 miles. Self-fulfilling prophecies...

·
Registered
262 Posts
If a belt is replaced early it is of course on track to fail earlier than the next recommended interval, i.e. 240,000 miles. Self-fulfilling prophecies...
aka: a 90-100k mile replacement interval
aka: a 90-100k usable lifespan for the belt
aka: what everybody's been saying about the actual optimal service intervals for belt replacement in this thread and others
aka: being conservative about the maintenance of your vehicle so as to increase your chances of long-term reliability and reduce overall average cost of ownership
aka: being smart

1 - 20 of 27 Posts