SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I would like to replace my newly damaged XC with a '06 or '07 R, each car I'm looking at is at about 140,000KM. Other than the normal stuff, what else should I look for in my assessment? I owned a new '03 R for 4 years and loved it but I did go through some of the more common issues. Is my understanding correct in that the '06-'07 years were really good?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated,

Keith
BTW, I wish I never traded in my old R!

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
100k/120k Service Interval Work will be due (PCV, Timing Belt, Plugs, Coils, etc)

06/07 Auto Transmissions have valve body issues:

TNN43-53-2006-12-21 Title: Auto Trans - TF80-SC Diagnostic Information Summary - Valve Body Replacement.
This document summarizes customer complaints related to the 6 speed Automatic Transmission (TF80-SC) and should be used together with the information in VIDA.

The Valve Body should be replaced to address the following symptoms:
1. Customer complaints about 2-3 upshift quality. The shift may be described as harsh, or as a shudder. The symptom is usually more apparent during the first few minutes of driving after a cold start.
2. Customer complaints of shudder when slowing down, just before coming to a stop. The symptom may also be described as a harsh downshift just before coming to a stop.
3. Neutral condition in 4th, 5th & 6th gear; normal behavior in 1st, 2nd, 3rd & Reverse. One or more of the following DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) may be present: P073400, P073500, P072900, P089600.
4. Neutral condition in all gears except 5th & Reverse, usually with DTC P273300 set. DTCs for gear ratio(s) may also be set such as P073000, P073100, P073200, or P073400.
Note: Transmissions starting with serial number 06J and later already have the latest valve body which is designed to prevent these symptoms.

·
Registered
8,060 Posts
If quality oil is used and changed regularly your PCV system may still be ok. My original system was fine at 160K miles, no need to repair it if it isn't broken at any mileage.

If you have a motor full of sludge its a different story though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts