SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had out T6 about 5 months now, and just got hammered with week with renewal notices.....
I am somewhat confused as to what each does in terms of features - which ones are you keeping and which dumping?

1. SiriusXM - I think this one is pretty clear, but 1 question - is this the source of real-time traffic or does that come from something else? If so and I don't renew the sat radio, do I get to keep real time traffic. $99 for 1 year

2. Volvo On Call / app - this is pretty pricey - $200 for 12 mo, $600 for 54 mo. As far as I can tell, this lets the app work, lets Volvo track or immobilize the car, and roadside assistance. BUT, this one seems confusing.
If we don't renew this:
- does this disable the SOS button as well
- don't we get roadside assistance through the warranty program anyway?
- if SOS still works, what other assistance does this provide (ie what is the difference between the SOS and the On Call button)

3. Has not come up yet, but I assume at some point we will be charged for the 3G/4G service - what car functions are linked to the cellular connection other than the remote updates? Or is this included in #2 above?

any others I missed but will need to expect?

thanks!

·
Registered
415 Posts
1. Traffic is different than the music and it will continue even if you don't renew the music. I don't know how long. I will not renew Sirius XM.

2. SOS button is lifetime. Roadside assistance continues through the warranty program even if you don't renew Volvo on call. The application has many other useful features in my opinion including tracking of the car if needed. I renewed it for 18 months ($250 + tax)

3. Not included in #2 but currently it is free

I hope this helps

·
Registered
192 Posts
1. Great question but my understanding is RTTI (Inrix) is there as long as you have a remote internet connection. You need to have the Nov update and make sure it's checked in the Nav settings. SiriusXM traffic is also free for 4 years.

2. Both are available for roadside asst. I think the VOC button probably has some more assistance like safety or concierge services. But SOS and VOC will continue to support roadside assistance. I do enjoy the VOC app (remote start and unlock warnings, etc) but I'm not willing to pay more than $100 per year...and still that high.

3. I thought it was ATT 3G only? I didn't know it was also 4G. Well anyway, it spotty and slow for me. I just tether via Bluetooth of my Verizon LTE phone. You will lose the Sensus apps like Pandora and Yelp along with Remote Updates IF you are using the internal data service. Again, all of that can be accomplished and more reliable with tethering.

I only pay $75 per year for Sirius and I like CNBC (I do a lot of investing), news and comedy. So I will keep that. If they drop the price of VOC by 50% I will keep that. I won't touch the subpar ATT data service. I have an unlimited data plan on my phone.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Original traffic source was Sirius which will continue past expiration of trial Sirius period for 4 years. Nov update added Inrix source, which is far superior, and is not related to Sirius. You must manually change to Infix data in the navigation settings.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Original traffic source was Sirius which will continue past expiration of trial Sirius period for 4 years. Nov update added Infix source, which is far superior, and is not related to Sirius. You must manually change to Infix data in the navigation settings.

FYI, Inrix. http://inrix.com

And as others have mentioned, xm traffic will continue as it comes with the vehicle for a longer term, 3 or 4 years.

Inrix is dependent upon using the vehicles SIM card for data or a Bluetooth\wifi connection to your cell phone or a hot spot.

Also, regarding Volvo on call, I read somewhere that if you decide to renew after your last day runs out it is 'more involved' to renew it as what I read said it meant reaching out to your dealer etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts