SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Read about this the other day on arstechnica.com and I wasn't happy to find my S80 was among the list of cars affected.

Today after returning to the parking garage where I parked my car I thought where's my car, only to remember it was on the lower level. The first thing that popped into mind, when I initially thought it was gone, was this vulnerability.

I read this over at AutoNews a few days ago.

Ford doesn't feel threatened by Google and Apple's growing interest in the automotive industry, said Christof Kellerwessel, the automaker's electrical engineering chief. Kellerwessel is responsible for in-car entertainment and connectivity technologies as well as overall electrical and data networks. He told Automotive News Europe Correspondent Olive Keogh that Ford cars will always retain their own identity regardless of which companies the automaker chooses as collaborators.

Google and Apple are thinking about making cars. Are they a threat?

We are surrounded by hundreds of competitors and have been in this business for more than 110 years. We've seen a lot of competitors come and go. The constant development of new vehicles is not the easiest business to be in, but our eyes are open and we see the developments taking place. We're not hiding behind the wall and hoping nothing is happening outside.

What role do you think Google and Apple will play?

We collaborate but we need to make sure that our vehicles continue to be Ford vehicles. We partner with both Google and Apple to integrate Android Auto and Apple CarPlay in the next-generation Sync, which will be introduced in U.S. later this year.

Christof Kellerwessel: "We collaborate but we need to make sure that our vehicles continue to be Ford vehicles."

How involved are you in connected car collaborations?

We team up with the best in the industry in their relevant spaces. For example, we are working now with [BlackBerry's] QNX, but we are open to working with anyone because for us it's crucial to get connected to every smartphone. Ford is well known for democratizing of technologies, meaning technology for millions and not necessarily millions for technology. [Ford Chief Technical Officer] Raj Nair pointed out recently that you have a multi-thousand pound, euro or dollar decision in front of you to buy a vehicle. Why should we limit that choice by excluding certain business partners from dealing with our vehicles? We're really trying to make our vehicles as versatile and as open for certain connectivity standards as possible.

What big changes do you anticipate?

Connecting to the cloud and to the Internet of Things will definitely open more opportunities for our customers to choose and help us better understand usage requirements. They will certainly help us connect their digital life to our vehicles in the most seamless way.

What is the most costly part of connected car?

The infrastructure and the back-end in the cloud will add quite a bit. That's definitely the new element that we didn't have before.

What are the biggest challenges with connected cars?

Delivering the desired customer functionality in all situations while making sure that we avoid distracting drivers with content the customer doesn't want it.

How quickly will change occur?

I think it's going to be gradual over the next couple of years. The chief rationale is that everybody will move at the same time. Infrastructural requirements need to be fulfilled. You need to create the necessary backbone and back-end infrastructure to service what the customer demands. We need to recognize too that the pace of change in the consumer electronics and the vehicle industries is somewhat different. What will help us to cope with the pace of change will be upgradability of elements of the vehicle infrastructure and architecture

Are you already upgrading your existing systems?

We always tie innovation to major vehicle rollouts. That's enabling us to adapt and deploy new technologies. It's not rocket science. You don't have to rebuild the entire house every time, but you do need to renovate a couple of rooms within it.

How much broader can the connected car concept go?

Connected car doesn't only mean within the Internet of Things but also between cars. In this space we have a lot of consortia and we need to partner with all the other automakers. We won't get anywhere if Ford vehicles can only talk to each other. For this technology to be implemented it's really crucial that we come up with standards worldwide and that all the vehicles can exchange data. We are involved in various consortiums in North America and Europe and we're striving for commonalities.
Source: http://europe.autonews.com/article/...oogle-apple-collaborations-wont-impact-brands

What surprised me about this interview was the questions of What are the biggest challenges with connected cars?. With all the recent hacks I would have thought he'd say security, but in the entire exchange never was there any mention of security.

I'm eyeing a Audi A7 and am starting to worry, because that car will have more tech than my current S80. This whole push by car makers to make things more connected does worry me as security doesn't seem to be a top priority.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
There are probably not many here who agree with the conclusions by Consumers Reports ... but concerning upgrading to the most exotic connected automobile, their editor recently offered (my paraphrase) "keep your existing car as long as practical, but upgrade your smartphone and/or tablet as often as you like".

Could be the Muse of Motoring.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
doesn't give specific model years. Noticeably the XC60 is missing, hmmm.

·
Registered
440 Posts

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Wait, the article says "keyless ignitions" but it looks like the issue is actually for vehicles with keyless entry and chipped key ignitions?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.