SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! has anyone seen/driven the new 2009 VW CC VR6 4motion? I was driving home from work today, and I was very impressed by the way it looked. I am thinking about taking a trip to the dealer later this week to see how it drives. It def will not be as fast as our R's but 280hp isn't to bad either. Any input would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Re: VW CC VR6 for my R? (gaddamit)

It weights 3850 and has 280hp but no turbo which might actually put it equal to an R.

Edit: Turning radius of 35.8ft vs 42.70 (R)

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts
Re: VW CC VR6 for my R? (s140s)

Looks good. I believe it is only available in an automatic, not even DSG, just standard torque converter automatic.

Makes it a non starter for many on this board who went to, or back to Volvo because the R had a 6 speed.

·
Registered
67 Posts

I test drove the 2009 CC VR6 4Motion last week out of curiosity. Unfortunately, the car had about 15 miles of fuel left in it (according to the computer), so I didn't get much drive time. My impressions: it drives nearly identical to an Audi A4. In fact, much of the car is actually the same as an A4, so no surprise there. The CC gains the larger 3.6L 280HP/265 lb-ft engine. The powerband is very smooth and consistent from low to high rpm. Typical Tiptronic transmission response.

How does it compare to an R? It has superior handling (vs a stock R). The suspension is something like between Sport and Advanced, but with improved damping and very well balanced feel. The seats are firm and sporty, and very comfortable. The interior was very quiet. The audio system is a Dynaudio system (isn't the premium audio system in the R also by Dynaudio?) The controls are typical Audi/luxury VW. But there are two major design quirks that I could not tolerate:

1. The rear seat is actually 2 bucket seats with a storage compartment between the seats. So, it's only a 4 seater. That alone made me walk away (keep in mind my point of view is coming from a family of 4 perspective)

2. They designed such a high-positioned and narrow rear window, you have limited visibility and have no clue where the rear of the car is. Yes, they include rear parking assist, but I was annoyed not knowing where the back of the car was.

In a nutshell: beautiful design inside and out, excellent driving car, but the two major quirks cause me to not consider it. If you love how it drives, an A4 would be much more practical, if practical is what you're looking for.

I'll stick with my much more practical V70R (of course, it's not fair to compare a sedan vs. wagon for praticality). But then there's the new S4 right around the corner.........

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: VW CC VR6 for my R? (cklabr)

Quote, originally posted by cklabr »
. But then there's the new S4 right around the corner.........

Not in wagon form in the US.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the responses. Unfortunantely I am stuck with getting an auto, since my gf does not know how to drive a manual, and refuses to learn! kind of frustrating! The whole 4 seat option would not kill me, since I am not married and dont have any kids. I didnt even know about the car until I saw it on my drive home from work. Maybe I'll take a trip to the dealer and see how it runs.

Cklabr: how did the acceleration feel? was it similar to the R, or not even close?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: (gaddamit)

The engine is not a turbo, so torque comes on at lower RPMs than the R (I haven't had a chance to look at the torque/hp curves). It has a much more smooth delivery bottom to top. It's certainly quick and fast, but may be on par with an R. Definitely designed for highway cruising.

It's too bad they did not include the new 7 speed DSG transmission. Our TT has the 6 speed DSG and it's a blast to drive.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: VW CC VR6 for my R? (cklabr)

Quote, originally posted by cklabr »
1. The rear seat is actually 2 bucket seats with a storage compartment between the seats. So, it's only a 4 seater. That alone made me walk away (keep in mind my point of view is coming from a family of 4 perspective)

If you want a 5 seater, it is called a Passat. The Comfort Coupe is supposed to be a bit different in that respect.

·
Registered
573 Posts

Quote, originally posted by gaddamit »
..."Unfortunantely I am stuck with getting an auto, since my gf does not know how to drive a manual, and refuses to learn! kind of frustrating!"...

That's a no brainer, get a new GF unless you plan to put a ring on her finger or better yet have her drive her own car.

·
Registered
16,979 Posts
Re: VW CC VR6 for my R? (Needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by Needsdecaf »

Not in wagon form in the US.

yeah I know wtf is with that tell them to keep the sedans and send us the wagons

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (Token)

Quote, originally posted by Token »
Its still a Passat http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif

ah, it's our resident VAG hater.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

Quote, originally posted by gaddamit »
I appreciate the responses. Unfortunantely I am stuck with getting an auto, since my gf does not know how to drive a manual, and refuses to learn!

Unless you want the 2.0T in base trim, you're stuck with an auto anyhow.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Re: VW CC VR6 for my R? (s140s)

Quote, originally posted by s140s »
It weights 3850 and has 280hp but no turbo which might actually put it equal to an R.

How do you figure that. N/A motors will have less torque and crappier powerband. Let alone another 150lbs on top of the R.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts

I don't like the look of the CC. My Dad picked up an 08 VR6 passat, and Between the two, his is faster at low revs, mine is faster at high revs. In a 0-60, his would be slightly faster.

Its a lot of fun, go test drive it.

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Actually the passat is NOT related to the A4 at all anymore. This last revision the Passat is a stretched Jetta and now uses a transverse engine, angle gear and Haldex unit rather than the ZF transmission and integrated AWD system that most Audis use. The weight balance is much better in the A4, the AWD system in the A4 has been re-tuned for more of a RWD feel, etc. The Passat and the A4 now share essentially no parts.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Re: (Needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by Needsdecaf »
ah, it's our resident VAG hater.

Sigh

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: VW CC VR6 for my R? (BeerEngineer)

Quote, originally posted by BeerEngineer »
I don't like the look of the CC. My Dad picked up an 08 VR6 passat, and Between the two, his is faster at low revs, mine is faster at high revs. In a 0-60, his would be slightly faster.

Says the 05 GT owner.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Re: VW CC VR6 for my R? (MagoonR)

Quote, originally posted by MagoonR »

Says the 05 GT owner.

Yep, thats what I said. I'm torque limited. I would also say that 0-100, mine would be faster, except that I don't drive at 100 all that much.

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Its a fairly level playing field with the 06+ Rs since the VWs use the same Aisin transmission and haldex unit.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts