SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this problem for a while now. I get the codes for a VVT replacement (says my volvo mechanic), but he isn't able to answer why this only happens in the cold.

In the warm (60 degrees F and up) it runs fine, as well as when the cars warms up for 5-10 minutes. At start up in the cold and before it's fully warmed up, the idle is high (~1200 rpms) and stays there (it doesn't go up, down, up, down, like some people experience). This makes the car vibrate a lot. When driving with this problem, this car accelerates funny and shifts poorly as well-- this does not happen in warm weather.

In all weather, however, I get this one weird noise for half a second immediately after pushing on the gas pedal that is hard to describe, almost like a sound like grinding gears (not that it is gears, but just sounds similar to it).

This problem also brings less power and worse gas mileage (5 miles/gallon less).

Any ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
update

I went to unplug my VVT to see if that would help and I noticed that the wires leading directly to the VVT were exposed, unlike the wires in other pictures I've seen. Could exposed wires cause this to malfunction in the cold?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Dropping in and out could be a serious problem!

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
what do you mean by this? I'm not an experienced person by any means pertaining to cars
Exposed wires (and by that I assume you mean that you could see bare copper) can touch each other -- shorting out or they could short to ground.

The two wires touching (shorting out) or hot shorting to ground would release the solenoid that controls the VVT.

If the ground side is switched (rather than the hot side), shorting to ground on the ground wire could engage the VVT.

And this is in an environment with a lot of movement (car is bouncing around, engine is moving around in the engine compartment, wires are shifting fore/aft as the car speeds up or slows down) causing the VVT to constantly switch on and off beyond the control of the computer.

Does this help?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Volvo low power on startup when cold

In the warm (60 degrees F and up) it runs fine, as well as when the cars warms up for 5-10 minutes. At start up in the cold and before it's fully warmed up, the idle is high (~1200 rpms) and stays there (it doesn't go up, down, up, down, like some people experience). This makes the car vibrate a lot. When driving with this problem, this car accelerates funny and shifts poorly as well-- this does not happen in warm weather.

This problem also brings less power and worse gas mileage (5 miles/gallon less).

Any ideas?
Hi all, I'm new to this forum but not new to volvo I have a S40 2.4i 2006 with 168000+-km on dial. eversince the head was replaced due to tensioner seizure!! I thought the timing was out however I replaced the VVT Solenoid as it seems to have been clogged up with gunk, and it seems to have bettered it for a while. Now the problem is intermittent could it be the VVT Cam? :facepalm: I am at the virge of giving up!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts