SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are considering getting an '09 or '10 XC90 3.2 R-Design. They come with the 8x19" Vulcanis wheels. I'm concerned about the tires that are supplied on these rims. Can anyone tell me what Volvo has been mounting on 'em? I ask because we bought an '08 S80 T6 AWD - it came with pretty nice rims (don't recall the name or dimensions offhand), but mounted on them were Pirelli P-Zero Rossos. Nice tires if you (1) never drive in the snow, and (2) don't mind having tires that, if you are lucky, will last about 20,000 miles.

So, what I'm getting at is - are these Vulcanis rims the "low profile" type of rim and are they shipped with tires that actually can be driven in snow and will last more than 20k miles?

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
487 Posts
They are performance tires designed for suv's and are not meant for snow. These are the same tires that is fitted to the XC70 and XC60.

Even the Continental tires that come with the rest of the line up are 3-season tires.

You are looking at buying the sport model after all.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (Pinstripe)

Quote, originally posted by Pinstripe »
They are performance tires designed for suv's and are not meant for snow. These are the same tires that is fitted to the XC70 and XC60.

Even the Continental tires that come with the rest of the line up are 3-season tires.

You are looking at buying the sport model after all.

Hmmmmm..... well, I took a look at Tire Rack and they are indicating that the 3.2 R has Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico tires as original equipment. If this is true, then I'm OK, as they are listed as ALL SEASON TIRES, OK for light snow. I live about 30 miles east of San Francisco and never get snow or ice here. But I do take occasional trips up to Lake Tahoe (3 or 4 times a year) in the winter for skiing or snow shoeing. If these are the tires that come on the 3.2 R, I'd be a happy camper. If the snow is really dumping up there, I wait till the storm is past before venturing up. Not doing so usually is an invitation to get stuck in some ugly traffic jams!

What we got on our S80 T6 were the Pirelli P-Zero tires, absolutely NOT for snow driving at all. That's OK for the S80, but not for the XC90!

Has ANYONE in the group purchased or leased a 2009 3.2 R-design? Did it come with the Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico tires?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Re: (W6JHB)

Quote, originally posted by W6JHB »

Has ANYONE in the group purchased or leased a 2009 3.2 R-design? Did it come with the Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico tires?

I have an '08 V8 Executive which comes with 19" rims fitted with Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico. I live in Northern NJ and made several trips to VT this winter tp gp skiing and they were fine in the snow, http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (bschurr)

Quote, originally posted by bschurr »

I have an '08 V8 Executive which comes with 19" rims fitted with Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico. I live in Northern NJ and made several trips to VT this winter tp gp skiing and they were fine in the snow, http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Cool! Thanks for the info. I really like the R-Design models but was having fits about those tires and not knowing of they could deal with light snow. Now - if only my body would do the same! I broke my right hip this past January skiing up at Tahoe and still am limping around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts