SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
u guys mod first, i have a v70 just off the boat and have been searching for an effective addition past bars. it seems to me that the towers are so close to the firewall that a brace may not do much.<p>just a ?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Re: vst strut brace? (mike_c70)

VST doesn't tie strut towers together - not quite true.<p>It mounts on the brackets that are used by the engine brace, and those seem to be mounted on the strut towers, just not where you'd normally expect them to be. .<p> O : : O<br> | | <br>strut strut<br> | |<br>engine brace mount<p>Typical strut brace mounts on top of struts. Engine brace mounts on bracket that is on engine side of strut tower, and lower than top of strut tower. VST strut brace mounts to these two mounting bolts. Mounts on engine side of the engine brace bracket, and then goes across the front of the engine brace and sneaks back behind it just before attaching to the engive brace bracket on the firewall side of the engine brace mount. <br> _ _<br> O :______/ : O<br> <br>Kind of like this, only curved, not square corners. <br>

·
Registered
773 Posts
Re: vst strut brace? (wizzard_al)

Sorry, the diagram didn't work. The O is the strut tower, the : is the engine brace mount, there should be space between them, not bunced up like the last post.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Re: vst strut brace? (wizzard_al)

Basically does the same thing as the engine brace as that brace is made of steel and won't bend. THe only difference is the fore and aft movement of the engine brace. But from a side to side flex, does the same thing, so the VST brace IMO is purely cosmetic.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts

The engine brace floats and does nothing to brace the frame, it mearly helps hold the engine.<p>The VST brace bolts to the chassis; and it does make a difference, both in handling and eliminating understeer. You can come for a test lap if you want, I have the VST brace in my car.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: vst strut brace? (ss60)

<A HREF="http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=53497" TARGET="_blank">http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=53497</A>

·
Registered
1,659 Posts

I have the VST on an S60R and I also have the engine brace bushings from IPD. The two of them paired together do a good job of tightening the front end up. I did them at seperate times and then together. I felt more of a difference with the bushings alone than I did the VST alone. The VST is more cosmetic, BUT if you pair it with the bushings the two of them add up to a nice feel. If I could get my money back on the VST I would not. I would keep it just the way they are. I have been waiting for two months for the trac spec sways from IPD and once those are in I am sure I will feel a big difference. You have to look at the PARTS as a whole. Not just one part affecting alot (even though the sways have the most impact on a noticable differece. But all of the above parts pair perfectly together and change the whole feel of the car ALOT. Just my 2c's Rick

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: vst strut brace? (Mash)

thanks all; this all makes sense to me. the vst brace does seem to be at best part of the package that would help the front end.<p>i guess that is why there are a lot of parts to a car, everything does something. i like the engine mount bushing idea.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>ss60</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The engine brace floats and does nothing to brace the frame, it mearly helps hold the engine.<p>The VST brace bolts to the chassis; and it does make a difference, both in handling and eliminating understeer. You can come for a test lap if you want, I have the VST brace in my car.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>What does the engine brace bolt on to then? Both the engine brace and the vst brace mount up to the same holes. Believe what you want, my say is that it's cosmetic.

·
Banned
2,597 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>mike_c70</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>What does the engine brace bolt on to then? Both the engine brace and the vst brace mount up to the same holes. Believe what you want, my say is that it's cosmetic. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>Hi Mike, <p>This is a common misconception that the factory upper engine cross brace is hard mounted to the strut towers. The factory engine brace is mounted to the strut towers with a ball joint style "dynamic elastomeric insulator". <p>The VST is rigidly mounted to the the strut towers. <br>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts