SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my rear hatch mechanism isn't working (also showing Hatch Open message) so i'm assuming one of the wires on being run through the arm is broken from being repeatedly opened and closed over the years. Before i start taking apart unnecessary panels off everywhere, has this happened to anyone else? If so where's the best place to start?

·
Registered
396 Posts
So my rear hatch mechanism isn't working (also showing Hatch Open message) so i'm assuming one of the wires on being run through the arm is broken from being repeatedly opened and closed over the years. Before i start taking apart unnecessary panels off everywhere, has this happened to anyone else? If so where's the best place to start?
Subscribing as my hatch has weird issues including the hatch open message appearing when i turn on the rear defroster. I was planning on starting in the hinge itself.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Top left corner of hatch. Usually in the roof very near the hatch hinge.

·
Registered
966 Posts
It has been years since the rear hatch on my V70R goofed up, so I don't remember the exact symptoms, but I took it to my Indie, he had to replace a wire harness that wasn't cheap, as the wires in the harness over time break from all the flexing from opening and closing the hatch.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yup those wires break.

With the hatch open, you can peel back the harness sleeve to repair the broken wires. IIRC, there is a cover or something to take off. Whatever it is, it's fairly easy. Ideally, you take the interior panels off and check continuity on either end of the harness. Move the harness during the test to make sure there isn't an intermittent open. I've repaired some that needed more wires fixed than the symptoms initially showed.

Just today I had a hatch that wouldn't unlock, and moving the harness while hitting unlock on the key got it to work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts