SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Car

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peoples. So my car is starting to look a little tatty. I've got some dent wizard work to be done as well as some scratches that I have minimized through wet sanding/polishing, but will never be 100%. I ended up with Ti Grey as the deal was amazing, with low miles, MT, Atacama, New wheels + tires. However I was really dreaming of owning a black wagon with Atacama. I'm running this one into the ground, so re-sale value isn't a concern. So......

Do I:
1. Try wrapping the car in vinyl

2. Dismantle, prep, and paint the whole thing in flat black (JD seems to be well recieved for ease of use/touch-ups)

3. Keep touching up and living with as-is.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Black is always sexy. However as you know, it doesn't reflect as well so gets hotter. If you're in a sunny climate go with something lighter.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Maserati offers matte black as one of their custom colors. Check out their website and config a car to see. I think it looks GREAT.

Maserati

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
What is "JD?"

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Just go with what your heart tells you to. :)
Agreed! Do it for you.

I don't know what vinyl wraps cost but I like the idea of them, plus you can change to something else, or back to stock when (if) you get tired of the color.

But most importantly, Matte Black + Atacama FTW! DO IT!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So to answer some ?s. The JD is for John Deere (the tractor people.lol). Apparently they have a single stage urethane that is satin black and dirt cheap (like $30/GALLON!). It is all the rage with hot-rodders as it is very easy to spray and can be spot touched very well if scratched.
As for the vinyl, I would attempt it myself just like the paint. I don't have a budget for anyone else to work on my car, and am fairly decent with spraying and other detail oriented tasks. All I know is that something happens to me every time I think of my car in flat or satin black. :D

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
^^ I know at least one member that wood like this pic, LOL.

OP, I say go satin all the way :thumbup:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Wrap it ... 100% ... regardless of what people say, matte paint is extremely hard to match if anything ever happens ... the 3M film will always stay the same color .. much easier for blemish fixes ... is it way too popular these day? Yes ... but rare on Volvos.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
find someone who does wrapping locally is what I would do.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Colour - a matter of the HEART? Give your head a shake.
Satin and flat are fads. Aren't most of us past that?

·
Registered
318 Posts
For vinyl costs I would have a respray done. Ask around there's still good small shops that'll do a complete for around 5 grand

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Colour - a matter of the HEART? Give your head a shake.
Satin and flat are fads. Aren't most of us past that?
I think the Hot Rod community have proved that flat/satin black is not a fad. I mean, there are guys here using fluorescent orange and lime green on their cars:D But, regardless of the sheen/gloss I think black is always a flattering color.

As for the wrapping or painting, it will be the cost of materials and sweat only. I only have the budget for DIY. I am a musician after all:p

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I think the Hot Rod community have proved that flat/satin black is not a fad. I mean, there are guys here using fluorescent orange and lime green on their cars:D But, regardless of the sheen/gloss I think black is always a flattering color.

As for the wrapping or painting, it will be the cost of materials and sweat only. I only have the budget for DIY. I am a musician after all:p
but most of us crazy color people aren't painting the WHOLE car :D just calipers and wheels lol. If your on a DIY budget just go to home depot, get a cheap spray gun, a compressor and 3 gallons of plastidip and go nuts :D

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm planning on vinyl wrapping my car this summer so that gets my vote. I just love that it protects the paint at the same time as looking cool and if someone scrapes your car in a parking lot you can probably just replace the vinyl and not have to deal with repainting.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts