SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a lot of skeptism around Turbo owners not wanting to go back the Nornally aspirated route.... I would agree being one myself

After being in the Turbo route for awhile, it is and still is intoxicating, however since owning the Volvo V8, I must say I am and still is impressed and totally changed my perception on high end Normally aspirated engines.

The specs alone seems demeaning enough, when tweaked gets the large XC to a century sprint of around 6 seconds, specs wise still commendable around 350bhp/500nm.

....just the sheer smoothness and growlll the V8 produces is enough to even make a Turbo fanatics like myself happy the whole day long.

...Volvo ATF cooler bypass - done
...Additional Top Strut bar - done
...Bottom lower back and front bar - done
...Volvo Quads Catback - done
...Thicker anti-roll bars - done
...stage 1 upgrade - done
...BMC drop-in air filter - done
...Brembo 6 pot front and 4 pot rear - WIP - to be completed september
...Roof rack with 2 cycle carriers - done (make XC looks super macho)

·
Registered
668 Posts
Can you elaborate of the Volvo atf cooler bypass? I was not aware that Volvo offered one. If they do I think there will be a lot of people interested. So how did the install go and do you have part numbers?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Would also be interested in what parts used for atf bypass.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The XC90 Original Volvo ATF Cooler was used which is then directly connected to the transmission fluid line bypassing the radiator completely.
I have been using this type of bypass for over a year now.

Can you elaborate of the Volvo atf cooler bypass? I was not aware that Volvo offered one. If they do I think there will be a lot of people interested. So how did the install go and do you have part numbers?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
..... LED rear tail lights - done
..... Napa Leather R-Design XC90 steering 3 spokes - done
..... Front Original XC90 Fog-lights DRLs - installing tomorrow
..... Red Montana leather in beige interior - installing next week

·
Registered
21 Posts
XC90 Brake upgrade

I have been looking for a "big brake kit" upgrade for my 2009 XC90 R-Design V8 for some time now. I have not had much luck in sourcing anything. From your description of pending ugrades, it seems you have found a solution. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks

·
Registered
668 Posts
Did the R designs come with a separate tranny cooler? I did not look too closely at mine, but when I did the tranny flush I am quite sure all I saw was the condenser and the radiator, no external to the radiator tranny cooler. Perhaps, I did not look closely enough.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only 2 brands I know off does plug and play for front and rear, VTTR and Heico though I've only seen one VTTR 6+4 330mm installed on a XC90 V8.
The Brembo ones, including the R calipers requires some custom work to get it installed and is possible.
I opted for front Brembo 6pot so awaiting for some remainder parts to arrive before getting the shop to start work on custom installing it.

I have been looking for a "big brake kit" upgrade for my 2009 XC90 R-Design V8 for some time now. I have not had much luck in sourcing anything. From your description of pending ugrades, it seems you have found a solution. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont have the part number handy on this, I believe it is an optional cooler than you would install if you are carrying heavy loads like boats, small trailers to aid the added cooling of the ATF oil. It is positioned right in front of the condensor and just behind the front bumper horizontal cut-out for air intake which is designed for chanelling air to this auxiliary Volvo cooler.

Did the R designs come with a separate tranny cooler? I did not look too closely at mine, but when I did the tranny flush I am quite sure all I saw was the condenser and the radiator, no external to the radiator tranny cooler. Perhaps, I did not look closely enough.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I dont have the part number handy on this, I believe it is an optional cooler than you would install if you are carrying heavy loads like boats, small trailers to aid the added cooling of the ATF oil. It is positioned right in front of the condenser and just behind the front bumper horizontal cut-out for air intake which is designed for channeling air to this auxiliary Volvo cooler.
What country are you from? What is the year of your XC90? Can you post some PICs? The reason I ask is that there are some T6 owners that would love to get their hands on this. I too am considering it since the one internal to the radiator seems to be more prone to failures than othtes.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a standard auxiliary transmission cooler from Volvo offerred as optional in Asia, if you look at Vida or parts catalog you can see it in the diagram with hoses etc.

Volvo Singapore now offers this as an upgrade option to owner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts